Beast - IMP: Trial Event Master Application

• Do you have Teamspeak 3 installed?

Yes
  • Are you willing to test your stress?

Yes
  • What is your age? (Minimum of 14 years of age.)

• List your current playtime:

• Are you willing to learn new ways to approach situations?

Yes
  • Do you have any active warns?

No
  • Do you have any problems with any of our current staff members?

Yes
  • Steam ID:

STEAM_0:1:119353295
  • Steam Profile Link:

• Current in-game alias/rank:

Naval Pilot - Barry Jenkins
  • Previous Notable Names/Ranks/Positions

Major General Thane - Major Whiskey (Shock) - Administrator
  • How known are you on a scale of 1-10?

• How will you bring new and creative event ideas to the server?:

I have extensive experience in leading event teams on various servers as well as innovating and cultivating Roleplay.
  • Have you participated in many of our Events?:

Yes
  • Are you familiar with Gmod's wide range of NPC tools? (Provide examples):

- AI vehicle spawner
    - Formation tool
    - Ship destruction tool
  • Name 3 tools that are at an Event Masters disposal within events and leave a small comment detailing each of their uses:

- Turbo Laser tool - Allows you to roleplay a weapon (doesnt have to be a turbo laser) 
    - PAC 3 - Allows you to model yourself and enhance a characters roleplay through visuals.
    - The ability to spawn props - Allows you to create and build scenes with low risk to server stability. (helps a fuck tonne for passive on base/ship mini events.)
  • Are you aware of how much a Gmod server can take or how unstable Gmod truly is?:

Yes, though i will not go into detail on this subject, i have had extensive experience in EM and staffing positions over the span of a couple years and am very well versed in how much a server can chug before it shits itself and requires a restart.
  • Do you understand that you are not allowed to use your staff rank's powers outside of events? Provide 3 examples detailing different situations that would be considered abuse:

- Physgunning players when in RP
    - Noclipping around to listen to conversations
    - Spawning weapons etc for self gain
  • Do you have any event experience? e.g. played a key character in an event before:

EM/ Snr EM/ Head Event Master - Empire Gaming (12 months)
    Various Manager/Staff positions where i would also run events to assist the load on the EM team
  • On a scale of 1-10, how much knowledge of the Imperial Era do you have?

• On a scale of 1-10, how familiar are you with ulx commands?

• Make a comment regarding the recent events on our server and how they have inspired you to become an event master:

Again, im going to leave my personal opinions out of this but the recent events prove to me that there needs to be variety in rp.
  • Do you understand that most events rely mainly on improvisation and mainly nothing goes to plan (ever)?

I understand random server crashes due to poor optimisation of addons but:

"most events rely mainly on improvisation and mainly nothing goes to plan (ever)?"

This is a poor excuse for a poorly planned event and if you as an event master go into an event with the intention of 'winging it' or improvising, then it is doomed to fail from the start. You can tackle this questions statement via having a template for which you want to run the event and having a set motion for how you wish to plan and execute the event and preparing for possible outcomes depending on what the players decide to do within said event.
  • How confident are you in providing briefings, debriefings, and in ensuring you're able to direct players throughout your events?

Im not a shy person and find myself quite capable of public speaking. I am also very interactive with my communication techniques and wont find trouble with this matter.
  • An event doesn't go to plan and Kanan Jarrus is crushed by an elevator. Players are laughing at you. What do you do?

At the end of the day, Garry's Mod is a very old game riddled with bugs and if something like that scenario happens (which it has many times) and if by accident, i would just explain that i am bringing the character back and to pick up where left off
  • A user is bad mouthing your events. How do you react?

If the criticism is constructive, i would take on the advice and improve where lacking in future. If it's just a general shit talk about an event i ran, then i dont really care and that person can have their own opinion.
  • You have to go AFK in the middle of an event you are running and there are no backups available. What should you have done to avoid this?

Ensure you have sufficient time allocated to be able to run an event and anticipate that it will run way over schedule and to allocate extra time to combat this.
    Secondly, sometimes there is no anticipating IRL interuptions and shit happens. In the case this happens, you should seek assistance from either the mod team or fellow EM's or ask the IHC members to continue the event and wrap up when possible.
  • Players and a few staff members are complaining about the amount of lag they're dealing with during your event. How do you resolve this?

Spread the player base out and reduce vehicle and npc use.
  • To conclude your app. you are required to create and design your own event. This includes planets, maps and stage actions. Include lots of detail in your event design. You are required to involve PassiveRP elements.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYVzVufxdlen3JNbHy05J5qo84zBpqr4DYodYh_eiMk/edit?usp=sharing

Apologies for the previous event link, i was looking through a bunch of them and posted a CW one from ages ago. The new one i have provided is an old event doc i made for EG but has the same properties of a GG event.

Edited by Beast
Edited event link
  • -1 1
  • +1 1
  • Haha 2

Currently Beast there is a few areas of your application I’d like to address below; 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Name 3 tools that are at an Event Masters disposal within events and leave a small comment detailing each of their uses:

- Turbo Laser tool
- PAC 3
- The ability to spawn props

The only proper tool viable for this section is the Turbo Laser Tool; pac3 is unreliable as some people server wide may not be able to a) know there is a pac on, meaning unaware they need to reload pac in console. Or B) have pac disabled. The ability to spawn props, although yes is useful, isn’t exactly what this is referring too, I suggest grabbing tools ingame to then look down the right hand side of the tool bar, and have a look at what the server has to offer as it is very extensive. With that, the question also requests a small comment detailing the use of each. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Make a comment regarding the recent events on our server and how they have inspired you to become an event master:

Again, im going to leave my personal opinions out of this but the recent events prove to me that there needs to be variety in rp.

This is requesting you to make a comment, asking for your opinion. Elaborate why you think recent events call for you specifically, extend the answer to allow the EM team knowledge of what you hope to bring, instead of sounding like you intend to join and do better then all of them.

3 hours ago, Beast said:

"most events rely mainly on improvisation and mainly nothing goes to plan (ever)?"

This is a poor excuse for a poorly planned event and if you as an event master go into an event with the intention of 'winging it' or improvising, then it is doomed to fail from the start. You can tackle this questions statement via having a template for which you want to run the event and having a set motion for how you wish to plan and execute the event and preparing for possible outcomes depending on what the players decide to do within said event.

Saying “this is a poor excuse for a poorly planned event” is a bit far out of line considering the amount of times I’ve seen EMs be required to take the event 5 minutes prior to briefing, because another had invoked it. If you want a template; sure go for it, however it won’t always work and it definitely won’t always be the same case. “Winging it” doesn’t doom an event from the start, I’ve had amazing events and played amazing events just from the em or myself winging it. With that you also can’t plan for every outcome, you can say you have but end of the day you can’t see the future.

To the end of your application anything I haven’t quoted in your app is good and well answered. Although you and I have no had very good interactions in the past, hope to see you apart of the team. 

-Neutral-

• Like 1
  • +1 1

Hi Beast, so before I make any comments, going over your event itself, it appears that this is a clone wars event as opposed to Imperial. There is also a discrepancy with the title of document itself being “Naboo Ambush” as opposed to document itself being Moraband Ambush. 

8 hours ago, Beast said:
  • Do you understand that most events rely mainly on improvisation and mainly nothing goes to plan (ever)?

• I understand random server crashes due to poor optimisation of addons but:

I think you misunderstand the point of this. It is not so much the fact of poor planning as opposed to the player base developing donkey brains sometimes. You gotta give exact directions, if you give the player too many choices they may end up forgetting an objective that you needed completed for the event to progress and then delaying the event. 

But let’s say you decide you can plan for all these variables, you can’t. Majority of players shut down during briefings and don’t listen to a single word you say, they just follow the path and shoot. So you end up relying on people who have no idea what you planned for operating your event and especially in rp, they may do whatever they want and ruin your plans. 

Your event may also rely on certain regiments being present, what if they’re not there?

Overall, your answers are pretty good and you clearly have experience with the server and similar positions. Though for now I will remain neutral.

Hi Beast, I have a few points to ask from you about the application. 

First, I would like to talk over the following quotes from you:

16 hours ago, Beast said:

Do you understand that most events rely mainly on improvisation and mainly nothing goes to plan (ever)?

I understand random server crashes due to poor optimisation of addons but:

&

An event doesn't go to plan and Kanan Jarrus is crushed by an elevator. Players are laughing at you. What do you do?

At the end of the day, Garry's Mod is a very old game riddled with bugs and if something like that scenario happens (which it has many times) and if by accident, i would just explain that i am bringing the character back and to pick up where left off

I see those 2 questions going hand with relation to how to adapt to the situation. A plan as you say is definitely the best way to work with events, the players and by extension, the events, don't always go the exact way of the plan. As Santa said, people don't listen to everything nor understand certain nuances of your plan which ties it all together. This brings it back to improvisation which can be used to ensure the event can go similar to as you plan but just with adjustments to the situation. eg. someone decides to kill the EC instead of detaining them as you said, you wouldn't bring the EC back, you would go with it. Furthermore, the Kanan Jarrus situation could possibly be handled IC which requires improvisation. Although players may laugh and criticise, this relates to how you answered this question: 

A user is bad mouthing your events. How do you react?

If the criticism is constructive, i would take on the advice and improve where lacking in future. If it's just a general shit talk about an event i ran, then i dont really care and that person can have their own opinion.

Criticism may be annoying in the moment, eg. people making fun of you during your event, but that not mean all feedback should be pushed to the wayside. All feedback should be taken and you adopt those which you think is necessary to help you do better or different next time, which is what you said. Therefore, I like the answer you have there. 

I won't touch on the tools nor event since others have gone over those topics above.

I do want to say it looks like you have had experience in the role before from your HEM time on a different server so I believe you'll do just fine if given a chance. I would just like to hear back about the topics presented by myself and others but for now, I'll be giving you a:

+1

After seeing that the event is a blatant rip off, I am -1ing.

Edited by Twat (Bill)
6 hours ago, Rambo said:

Currently Beast there is a few areas of your application I’d like to address below; 

The only proper tool viable for this section is the Turbo Laser Tool; pac3 is unreliable as some people server wide may not be able to a) know there is a pac on, meaning unaware they need to reload pac in console. Or B) have pac disabled. The ability to spawn props, although yes is useful, isn’t exactly what this is referring too, I suggest grabbing tools ingame to then look down the right hand side of the tool bar, and have a look at what the server has to offer as it is very extensive. With that, the question also requests a small comment detailing the use of each. 

This is requesting you to make a comment, asking for your opinion. Elaborate why you think recent events call for you specifically, extend the answer to allow the EM team knowledge of what you hope to bring, instead of sounding like you intend to join and do better then all of them.

Saying “this is a poor excuse for a poorly planned event” is a bit far out of line considering the amount of times I’ve seen EMs be required to take the event 5 minutes prior to briefing, because another had invoked it. If you want a template; sure go for it, however it won’t always work and it definitely won’t always be the same case. “Winging it” doesn’t doom an event from the start, I’ve had amazing events and played amazing events just from the em or myself winging it. With that you also can’t plan for every outcome, you can say you have but end of the day you can’t see the future.

To the end of your application anything I haven’t quoted in your app is good and well answered. Although you and I have no had very good interactions in the past, hope to see you apart of the team. 

-Neutral-

Hi and thank you for the feedback. I'll attempt to answer everything below based on my conception and interpretation of what the question asked and what you commented.

"The only proper tool viable for this section is the Turbo Laser Tool; pac3 is unreliable as some people server wide may not be able to a) know there is a pac on, meaning unaware they need to reload pac in console. Or B) have pac disabled. The ability to spawn props, although yes is useful, isn’t exactly what this is referring too, I suggest grabbing tools ingame to then look down the right hand side of the tool bar, and have a look at what the server has to offer as it is very extensive. With that, the question also requests a small comment detailing the use of each."

This will also refer to the next section you commented on regarding the 'Variation in rp' that i forementioned but in basic terms, alot of event masters in my opinion look to the more fancy tools and rely on said tools as a means to drive key moments of events which is completely fine but i prefer to use these more basic tools as a means of story telling as apposed to big flashy tools which have a high chance of crashing the server due to poor optimisation.

The ability to spawn props and build certain items is the most powerful tool at an event masters disposal and essentially allows for unlimited roleplay potential. Whether it's for building scenes or placing objects in the skybox to have them appear larger in the sky, these are great ways to express a story and elaborate on a larger plot. Pairing this along with PAC3 not only enables the em to model themselves as literally any model that exists on gmod but it also allows you to build a meaningful character if you so wish and assist with character developments.

And yes, i'll add comments to the end of each answer.

"This is requesting you to make a comment, asking for your opinion. Elaborate why you think recent events call for you specifically, extend the answer to allow the EM team knowledge of what you hope to bring, instead of sounding like you intend to join and do better then all of them."

Ok so i could have gone into abit further detail on this one i can agreee. Essentially the point i wish to express here is that the events currently are just basic offship events which have a one punch effect and then we move on and forget what even happened most the time. Though sometimes the event master doesnt wish for an event to have a sequel or a continuation which again, is fine, i usually create events with the intention of either carrying a trilogy or room for a sequel depending on how the players complete the event and the possible outcomes. (and yes i understand that the outcomes of events can and will most likely be completely different to what intended originally.)

A secondary point i'd like to make on this query is that i mainly find myself creating RP outside of main event times, which for the most part is where i see the server struggling the most in this point of time.

Ok this one might be a touchy subject but i am going to be standing with my original points but will provide additional clarification to what i meant by these points.

I completely agree that sometimes and EM will be just dumped with the task of making an event and will be forced to wing it, that's not what i was referring to, i was referring to an EM who knew they are scheduled for an event and decided to show up unprepared and then decides to completely botch the 6.30 booking and drive most the playerbase away for the rest of the night. Might i also mention that winging an event also drastically increases the chances of a server crash, as proven many times. 

Now this is not to say that an experienced EM wouldn't be able to accomplish this task and perform well under certain circumstances but the event team needs stability and reliability and if an EM becomes required to improvise an event at the last minute, it would mainly come down to poor leadership and lack of organisation.

"Your event may also rely on certain regiments being present, what if they’re not there?" @Santa

I usually tend to contact CO's or engage in passive rp with the current active CO's prior to the event commencement. If i had planned an event and the CO/s i was relying on didnt show up then i could either use EC's to substitute their position or again, improvise and use another regiment who would be similarly capable of handling the task at hand.

To touch on the point you made about not being able to predict the outcomes, most of the time you dont have to. You should construct the event to have one outcome but prepare for curveballs. In saying that, sometimes it is just out of the EM's control and i love that. At the end of the day, we are here as catalysts for RP and to provide the players with a guidance to enhance or perform their own roleplay. Not for our own personal gain.

I think as EM's it is a valuable and vital skill to be able to look at situations and create a guide for rp and allow players to carry it from there. Every situtation is different and every player and how they handle rp is different and it is up to us to account for and provide for the playerbase.

Hello all Splonter here, I would like to raise concerns of @Beast blatantly ripping an event idea I had created back in 2018, directly copy and pasting it into a new document putting it into his application, claiming to be his own.

(His link) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYVzVufxdlen3JNbHy05J5qo84zBpqr4DYodYh_eiMk/edit?usp=sharing

(My link) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NnlLcipAwvBTZmGLdPUQDafaLroA_TzV_SOeVNElwsA/edit?usp=sharing (Simply click document details for evidence of original document creation and last edited for proof)

As you can see here this was the ORIGINAL documented created 100% by MYSELF in which I wrote up for an application back in 2018. Ironic that you didn't even bother to change the title of the document with the new document showing the original date, 5-4-2018.

Thank you for plagiarising my original event ideas and work, I thought it was fishy to begin with as it looked identical to what I write like so after a little digging through my original documents I dug up the document that is exactly what your event idea is, if you were going to plagiarise my work you could at least put the effort into making it appear as your own instead of a direct copy and paste.

I hope your application gets denied, have a good day.

Edited by Faithful
  • -1 1
  • +1 3
32 minutes ago, Faithful said:

Hello all Splonter here, I would like to raise concerns of @Beast blatantly ripping an event idea I had created back in 2018, directly copy and pasting it into a new document putting it into his application, claiming to be his own.

(His link) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BYVzVufxdlen3JNbHy05J5qo84zBpqr4DYodYh_eiMk/edit?usp=sharing

(My link) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NnlLcipAwvBTZmGLdPUQDafaLroA_TzV_SOeVNElwsA/edit?usp=sharing (Simply click document details for evidence of original document creation and last edited for proof)

As you can see here this was the ORIGINAL documented created 100% by MYSELF in which I wrote up for an application back in 2018. Ironic that you didn't even bother to change the title of the document with the new document showing the original date, 5-4-2018.

Thank you for plagiarising my original event ideas and work, I thought it was fishy to begin with as it looked identical to what I write like so after a little digging through my original documents I dug up the document that is exactly what your event idea is, if you were going to plagiarise my work you could at least put the effort into making it appear as your own instead of a direct copy and paste.

I hope your application gets denied, have a good day.

Thankyou for the feedback Faithful, and glad you pointed that out; Staff will be noting this down for future applications. I will leave it to @Rippa and @Maxonok/ @Andy to finalize.

• Rippa locked this topic