Steam Profile Link:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/relicgmod

In-game alias/rank:

N/A

Teamspeak name:

relic ♡

List your server playtime:

What is your age?

What kind of development are you interested in pursuing for Gateway Gaming?

Programming

Please list the programs you use to create your content:

Sublime Text

On a scale of 1-10, how well do you know how to use said programs?

Have you created any content before? If so, provide below

Yes I have made content before, this is what I can show and isn't a private project.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/765015999421874186/766554931838189568/unknown.png - admin menu for the admin system d3a

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/765015999421874186/765440045347635200/unknown.png ( search function )

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/754449404857024632/766084447065473055/unknown.png made this pop up menu.

What sort of content are you interested in making for Gateway Gaming?

The content I'm interested in making for Gateway is anything, I can make anything within Garry's Mod as long as models, animations ect are given to me. I'd like to improve the custom content within Gateway and overall optimize & improve the server. My playtime is very low on the server as I'm only looking to improve the server(s) content. I will be playing a lot more to get to know what the community wants & how it runs.

Thank you for reading, relic.

TOS: It's important to recognize that IF you become a Developer for Gateway Gaming, the content you possibly provide is for the use on Gateway Gaming ONLY. If you are caught distributing any content without the permission of the Executive Staff team, you will be community banned.

Yes

Edited by </relic>
  • Like 1
  • -1 2

47 minutes ago, </relic> said:

My playtime is very low on the server as I'm only looking to improve the server(s) content.

How do you know what we want when you dont play the server tho;

also I believe the community dev already has the menu/admin systems down and complete so could you possibly provide more examples or expand on what else you can do.

5 minutes ago, Buck 🙂 said:

How do you know what we want when you dont play the server tho;

also I believe the community dev already has the menu/admin systems down and complete so could you possibly provide more examples or expand on what else you can do.

I currently do not have a lot of work to show, the admin menu is just an example to show I can code. It's got nothing to do with what I'd give to this server. Developer(s) are given tasks to complete and usually don't require to go onto the server. But I will be going on the server and interacting with the community to ensure the server is as optimised and as good as it can be.

2 hours ago, said:

Developer(s) are given tasks to complete and usually don't require to go onto the server.

That's a big assumption. I can tell you from experience that a server presence is enouraged and required. There is no truer way to recieve unfiltered feedback on your work than walking around incognito and hearing your work being discussed by the people that it actually affects.

Playtime also builds a level of trust between management, players and potential developers. There is close to fuck all that a server owner would want a dev with no obvious investment or interest in playing their server. As with any role in Gateway, server and community presence builds your reputation and puts you above other applicants.

Sometimes a job is handed to a developer, but most often projects are developer driven - once the approval of execs and the interest of the playerbase is gained. Anything made that benefits the experience is considered, and most of my past contributions as a developer has been the product of my own invested interest in the idea - and it made a place for itself.

Show initiative, you're not gonna be some robot on an assembly line, you are expected to actively improve the systems that affect the players.

Edited by Budds
  • +1 2

2 minutes ago, Budds said:

That's a big assumption. I can tell you from experience that a server presence is enouraged and required. There is no truer way to recieve unfiltered feedback on your work than walking around incognito and hearing your work being discussed by the people that it actually affects.

Playtime also builds a level of trust between management, players and potential developers. There is close to fuck all that a server owner would want a dev with no obvious investment or interest in playing their server. As with any role in Gateway, server and community presence builds your reputation and puts you above other applicants.

I have spoke to s8n on discord personally about the whole playtime issue. I have said once I start producing scripts ect I will be playing the server to make sure feedback is substantial and that the server runs smoothly with it on it. Also, developers are supposed to make scripts & content for a server. Not necessarily to play the community as that's how the development area works. Also to do with trust, only a little bit of trust is required to work with someone. You do the job > make the script and send it over and the client pays. That's how it works. I do understand the fact of building trust and yes that will happen as I progress in the community but I'm simply looking for a job right now I do not have time to play. I'm an experience developer and know what I'm doing and that's all that's required for a developer. I completely understand if he'd rather hire someone who plays the server frequently but after speaking to s8n he said he was looking for lua developers so I thought I would be a perfect match.

Thank you for the constructive feedback 🙂

11 minutes ago, said:

I have spoke to s8n on discord personally about the whole playtime issue. I have said once I start producing scripts ect I will be playing the server to make sure feedback is substantial and that the server runs smoothly with it on it. Also, developers are supposed to make scripts & content for a server. Not necessarily to play the community as that's how the development area works. Also to do with trust, only a little bit of trust is required to work with someone. You do the job > make the script and send it over and the client pays. That's how it works. I do understand the fact of building trust and yes that will happen as I progress in the community but I'm simply looking for a job right now I do not have time to play. I'm an experience developer and know what I'm doing and that's all that's required for a developer. I completely understand if he'd rather hire someone who plays the server frequently but after speaking to s8n he said he was looking for lua developers so I thought I would be a perfect match.

Thank you for the constructive feedback 🙂

You don't need to tell me how to develop for this community or any other, I developed for gateway for the most part of the last 3 years.

You are applying to be a Gateway community developer here - not a one-off outsourced developer. Your name is going to be labelled as a developer for everyone to see and you will become a person for many to turn to for development concerns, both within management, and from the community.

You don't have to become a "developer" to recieve work, you are applying for the community position of Gateway Developer, and thus a stable and constant community presence is required.

I am not at all trying to discredit you or your abilities, just trying to make you aware of the actual role you are aiming for with this application. 👍

Edited by Budds
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Budds said:

You don't need to tell me how to develop for this community or any other, I developed for gateway for the most part of the last 3 years.

You are applying to be a Gateway community developer here - not a one-off outsourced developer. Your name is going to be labelled as a developer for everyone to see and you will become a person for many to turn to for development concerns, both within management, and from the community.

You don't have to become a "developer" to recieve work, you are applying for the community position of Gateway Developer, and thus a stable and constant community presence is required.

I am not at all trying to discredit you or your abilities, just trying to make you aware of the actual role you are aiming for with this application. 👍

Yes I understand where you're coming from and as I've said, I will be interacting more with the community. But I do appreciate the feedback.

Whilst the playtime factor seems to be an issue, we’re in need of another lua developer pretty badly. I think Relic knows that if he gets the position, a community presence will be required and has even expressed to me that he’s keen to see how things work on Gateway. 

The decision is up to @Rhinous but I think even Rhino would really appreciate another lua dev to help out. 

What you have supplied thus far doesn't put much faith in me that you would:
A.) Be particularly trustworthy (I mean applying on IG and GG at the same time is a bit sus)

B.) Bring anything that other devs haven't already brought.

You need to show us something that you have that no-one else right now can give us. So for now, I don't think only menus will suffice. I'm going to cop you with a -1

4 hours ago, s8n said:

Whilst the playtime factor seems to be an issue, we’re in need of another lua developer pretty badly. I think Relic knows that if he gets the position, a community presence will be required and has even expressed to me that he’s keen to see how things work on Gateway. 

The decision is up to @Rhinous but I think even Rhino would really appreciate another lua dev to help out. 

I get it, we need more development help. Sure, this seems like a great opportunity - but is it really? 2 hours after applying here, you decided to apply on IG, and it seems like you've been getting pretty much the same feedback you're getting here. 

The fact that you do not wish to get to know the Gateway community until you get such a critical positon as developer is frankly disappointing. 

If you want such an important and demanding position, do you not care to know what you're up against? Do you not care to know who you're going to be working with? Do you not care to know who will be enjoying your work and giving you feedback?

The help is needed, and it sure would be appreciated, but I don't think we should take that help from someone who holds no obligation to the community. No connections with people. No reason as to why getting up and leaving isn't an option.

Although my opinion might not mean much on it's own, I think people will agree with me. -1

Edited by Cosmosis

8 hours ago, Frosty_ said:

I find it very odd that you applied for dev on IG at the same time you applied on Gateway.

Link to his IG App - https://imperialgamingau.invisionzone.com/topic/6937-relic-junior-developer-application/?tab=comments#comment-100179

4 hours ago, Cosmosis said:

I get it, we need more development help. Sure, this seems like a great opportunity - but is it really? 2 hours after applying here, you decided to apply on IG, and it seems like you've been getting pretty much the same feedback you're getting here. 

The fact that you do not wish to get to know the Gateway community until you get such a critical positon as developer is frankly disappointing. 

If you want such an important and demanding position, do you not care to know what you're up against? Do you not care to know who you're going to be working with? Do you not care to know who will be enjoying your work and giving you feedback?

The help is needed, and it sure would be appreciated, but I don't think we should take that help from someone who holds no obligation to the community. No connections with people. No reason as to why getting up and leaving isn't an option.

Although my opinion might not mean much on it's own, I think people will agree with me. -1

8 hours ago, Humbug said:

What you have supplied thus far doesn't put much faith in me that you would:
A.) Be particularly trustworthy (I mean applying on IG and GG at the same time is a bit sus)

B.) Bring anything that other devs haven't already brought.

You need to show us something that you have that no-one else right now can give us. So for now, I don't think only menus will suffice. I'm going to cop you with a -1

I have voided my application within IG and developers are here to make content. If you're a developer you are not required to play the game server as you're getting payed to make content. Normally developers are picked by the owner and not even having a public application because normally the community do not know how it's ran but this community has it public. Humbug your comment on me bring that other devs can't it just wrong. All developers that know LUA bring the same thing, this communities problem is there isn't any lua developers at the moment or they need more. If s8n wouldn't of told me he needed more I would not of applied. And me applying within IG is completely my choice if I want to work in multiple communities. It's paid work and as a developer you work on multiple projects not just one.

9 hours ago, Humbug said:

You need to show us something that you have that no-one else right now can give us.

I disagree with this, not every developer has to have some unique specialty, we have multiple developers who do the same work with modelling/texturing. Having additional developers who have the same skillset can allow us to spread out the workload and speed up the time it takes to complete new projects (which is why I am interested in getting more developers who can work on LUA projects). That being said,

1 hour ago, </relic> said:

All developers that know LUA bring the same thing

This is just incorrect. Of course there is going to be variation in LUA developers, it is such a broad topic that just because you generally know how to use the language does not mean you will have the past experience or knowledge to complete what another LUA developer may have the know-how to do. This is literally the reason for asking for examples of your work, so we can gauge what kind of capabilities you have which leads to my next point

13 hours ago, </relic> said:

I currently do not have a lot of work to show

I find this quite strange as I've heard that you have supposedly been working with LUA for 2 years so I would assume you could provide more than 2 unique examples and more variety than just 2 VGUI menus. These examples show that you know how to make VGUI menus and that's it. Showing more variation in your work would go a long way with selling yourself.

10 hours ago, Budds said:

Budds hit it pretty much on the head, this application is to become a Gateway Developer which is an actual community position.

Within our community we split developers into two main types, those being freelance developers and Gateway developers. 

Freelance developers are the ones who don't necessarily play the server and just work on specific jobs that they're commissioned to do by management/executive staff (This is what I think you would be more fitting to fall under). 

Gateway developers are the ones who are actually linked to the server, they're members of the community and since they are members of the community they're additionally rewarded for their work in ways that a freelance developer wouldn't be (such as their in game abilities and their status within the community). Gateway developers are also trusted with more than a freelance developer would be, for example they can get access to the development server and custom content that the server has had made if they want to make edits. This kind of thing isn't entrusted to people who aren't known members of the community, hence the needed distinction between Gateway developers and freelance developers.

Since this is an application to become a Gateway developer I'm going to deny you as even if you were to provide more variety in your examples you wouldn't currently fit the community side of the criteria to become a dedicated developer for the community.

If you are still interested in being commissioned for a couple small LUA tasks DM me on discord and I can discuss them with you - Rhinous#2568

• Like 4