Sign in to follow this  
Humbug

Humbug - CW: Trial Moderator Application

Quick Foreword

Before I get into this, I feel as if I have to explain my previous staff experience and why I departed in the way I did. This is because it demonstrates the change of heart I have had over the past year, and will hopefully provide you guys with some perspective on why I just suddenly dipped, and why I am now applying again to be staff.

Last year in around August, I was a JEM. This is after me being demoted from EM for not rocking up for my events.  After this, I essentially dipped from the server and then didn't return until a couple of months ago this year. The main reason this happened ,was because at that point I was going through real life stuff of the not-so-fun mental health variety, and it got very overwhelming having to make that commitment while also dealing with Year 12 exams and some problematic situations outside of Gateway. As some of you may know, mental health issues can make you lose interest in things you used to love doing. For me, playing Gateway and doing events was one of those things that unfortunately got caught in the crossfire. 

I know that this is quite personal stuff that I am throwing out here. But it's kinda because in order to understand how things have changed, you need to understand where my head-space was before.  Also, I kinda wanted to give you guys an explanation so I wasn't just "the shitty EM that just dipped". Since then, I have made strides improve on the mental health aspect of my life and at the moment, I am in a much better place than I was this time last year. The reason I am bringing this up in the first place is because I just wanted to explain to you guys that now since I am in a better place, I am ready and excited to take up the responsibilities of staff once again, and I am more than prepared for the challenges that would await me as a Moderator.

Anyways, back to the application.

• Current in-game alias/rank:

DSGT 2012 Humbug
  • Steam ID:

STEAM_0:1:79736052
  • Steam Profile Link:

• List your current playtime:

• What is your age? (Minimum of 14 years of age.)

• How well known are you on a scale of 1-10?

• Do you have Teamspeak 3 installed?

Yes

• Do you enjoy helping other people?

Yes, this desire to help others, and by extension the community, is the primary reason why I am applying for mod.

• Are you willing to test your stress?

Yes, after fully experiencing the stresses that being staff can bring last year when I was EM, I can 100% say that I am now fully prepared to deal with the stresses that come with being staff.

• Do you believe you're able to deal with individuals and situations in a completely unbiased manner?

Yes, I feel as if I am definitely capable of dealing with the many situations that mod faces in a objective, unbiased and fair manner.  

• Do you have any problems with any of our current staff members?

No
  •  
  • Are you willing to learn new ways to approach situations?

Yes, I feel as finding new ways to approach situations will ultimately make enable me to improve on what I already know and to perform my duties more effectively.

• Do you have any active warns?

No
  • How will you becoming a moderator impact our community?

By becoming mod, I hope to impact the community in many beneficial ways. 

Firstly, I hope that by me having the ability to enforce the rules of the server, I can be one of the many team members that help establish a great environment for all of the players to participate in. The rules of the server are in place so that there is a fun atmosphere that the player can immerse themselves in, and with my long term commitment to the server, I as much as anyone enjoy keeping this environment intact. For this reason, by me having the ability to enforce these rules would help negate any potential hazards to the environment that the staff team have tried so hard to maintain.  

Secondly, I take pride in the specific qualities that I demonstrate that I believe would be indicative of a good Moderator. For instance, when I make a mistake, I quickly recognise where I did wrong and apologise for it. The reason I say this is because anyone would be able to be a staff member if they never made mistakes. However, contrary to popular belief, Gateway staff are still infact human, which in turn makes them susceptible to making mistakes. It's one thing to make a mistake, but to have the ability to admit you are wrong, and then proceed to right that wrong is a quality that I believe is indicative of a good staff member.
    Additionally, this aspect of my character makes me very engaged in any feedback I might accumulate from both players and other staff. I believe this is another positive attribute because the ability to properly take other people's criticisms of you to heart is one of the MOST important aspects of being staff, and as aforementioned, sometimes staff make mistakes.

Thirdly, I am able to execute my duties as staff in a serious demeanour. Although in my stint last year as an EM, there were isolated occasions where perhaps I didn't take the job with the seriousness it required (refer to the infamous rainbow gungan event), I believe that a year later, I am ready to tackle the role of staff with the maturity it deserves. Although I will still have fun on the server, and behave appropriate to the situation, when it comes to my duties as a staff member, I will always treat my job with the seriousness it deserves.

Lastly, I simply love helping people. One of my favourite things to do on the server is to do a training session with some of the newer members of the 501st so that they can learn the ropes. Although this may be a bizarre thing to mention on a Mod application, I believe that this is indicative of my passion for helping people on the server. As Mod, my primary role will be to help people. I feel as this will not only be fulfilling for my experience, but beneficial for all of those that play on Gateway, as having a Moderator who is passionate about their duty will do nothing but help the people on the server.
  • Do you understand that as a member of the Staff Team, your position may be subject to change and / or termination should you not be performing to the degree stipulated? Do you also understand that a staff role is one that comes with the expectation of commiting time to helping the users of the server (Up to 20 hours a week)?

Yes
  • A user is RDMing and insulting other users. You are the only staff available to deal with the situation. What do you do?

I would firstly !administrate and then fly to a secluded location, and then !bring [suspect] and the !freeze them. I would then inform them that players have been accusing them of RDM and Abuse, and then ask him to explain his side of the story. After this I will check the logs by using /logs to check if the player was actually RDMing. Then I would !bring [victim] and then ask for his side of the story. I would then !seewarns for both of the people involved to perhaps gain some more context on their previous endeavours on the server. If I see any outstanding warns, then this will cause a more severe punishment depending on the context of the warns provided. If the victim and the suspect start yelling at one another once I ask them about what happened, I will !gag the pair and then explain that we are going to talk one at a time so that both sides have a say, and then !ungag them so they can tell their sides of the story. If the pair sort out their differences, then I would state that i'm glad that they were able to sort out their differences and then tell them to just take it easy and not do it again. However, if either the suspect or the victim keep on verbally abusing one another, I will state that if they keep it up, I will have to !warn them. If they keep on going even after this, I will then proceed to !warn them for their respective breaches of the rules, and then explain to them that any further abuse will cause a ban. I would tell them to perhaps stay apart for the meanwhile and to take it easy. However, if I get anymore reports of abuse and RDM, I will !ban 1440 for their breaches of the rules.

• A user has contested a warn you have given him and proceeds to verbally abuse you, what do you do?

I would try and get into contact with this person by either Teamspeak, Discord or via !goto, and then ask them if they would like to discuss it. If they say that they do not want to, then I would respect their wishes, but inform them in a calm demeanour as to not to escalate the situation that they can't be abusing people in OOC, and that if they ever do want to talk about it, I would be happy to discuss it with them and that they can privately contact me whenever they would want to. However, if they did want to discuss it, I would then ask him in a calm and collected demeanour to explain to me what happened from their perspective. Me hearing the events from his perspective would provide me a detailed look into how my actions affected them, and from then I can then determine the best way to react to the situation. If I determine that my warn was valid, then I will explain to him with an empathetic demeanour my perspective of the situation, and provide him with the reasoning of why I gave them the warn. If I determine that I was in the wrong, I would immediately apologise for my mistake and explain that I was in the wrong, and then amend my mistake by using contacting a senior admin and then explain to them the situation and ask that they remove the warn.
  • A user has threatened to DDos and take down the server. What do you do?

DDoS threats are a clear and cut danger to the integrity of the server, and a severe violation of server rules. I would immediately !bring and !freeze the suspect to a secluded spot, and tell him that  DDoS threats are a very serious ordeal and that people even joking about them and concur serious punishments such as permabans. If the suspect seems genuinely sorry for his action, and indicates that he just wanted to make a joke, I would inform him that if he ever did it again, he would get permanently banned from the server. I would then !return the suspect, while recording his Steam ID, and then notify senior staff on what happened and then providing them with his Steam ID. However, if it clear that he is not joking, and it's a genuine threat, I would immediately !ban [suspect] 0 DDoS Threats, and then provide senior staff with his Steam ID.
  • A Commander and Lieutenant are arguing in front of debrief. It is getting quite heated. The context to the argument is unknown to you. What do you do?

If the problem is in RP, then I would let the appropriate authorities such as CG or RHC deal with it, as it that is apart of the roles CG has. However, if it has become clear that it has escalated past RP, I would intervene by using !administrate and then flying to a secluded location, and then using !bring to bring them to me. I would then !gag the pair and then explain that they are officers and they should really know better, and that as officers they are to set an example for the rest of the server, and by screaming at one another infront of debrief they are doing anything but. After that, I would !ungag one of the two and then ask him for his side of the story. After listening to his side of the story, I would !gag him again and then !ungag the other to hear his side of the story. If possible, I will try and sort the problem out then and there, by empathetically mediating the argument, and then hopefully concluding with both officers apologising to one another. If they show me this maturity and willingness to forgive, then I will let them off with a simple verbal warning. However, if despite my intervention, I would !warn them both for abuse, and then tell them not to do it again, before using !ungag them and then using !return. However, if the problem still persists, then additional punishments may be required.
  • A Cadet has been complaining and wandering around because he hasn't been trained yet. He doesn't appear to have any intent to role play. What do you do?

I would !administrate to the cadet room and then !bring the cadet. I would explain to him that in order to be permitted to roam around the ship, he must be trained. If I have nothing else that I need to do, I would likely train him myself. However, in the case that I for whatever reason can't, I would ask "/comms Can SGT+ come and train the cadet?". If no SGT+ comes, then I will say "/comms If no SGT+ comes to the cadet room to train this cadet, a SGT+ will be selected at random." I'll let the SGT+ know that if the cadet has no intention of roleplay, for him to make a ticket and that i'll come and help. If the cadet was just confused on the rules of SWRP, then that is an easy sit. However, if it is clear that the cadet has NITRP, then I will verbally warn him, stating that if he doesn't stop behaving in the way he is, then I will have to kick him. I will start with !warn [cadet] NITRP, and then if their behaviour doesn't improve, I will then use !kick [cadet] NITRP. If he still persists after a kick, then I will  !ban [cadet] 1440 NITRP due to his unwillingness to effectively play within the confines of the server.
Edited by Humbug
  • Like 5
  • +1 2

Also, any feedback, positive and especially negative is VERY much appreciated, so if you have feedback please let me know. I will be keeping an eager eye on the comments and I will address criticisms. I hope to show you guys that despite my past as a staff member that dipped, in 2020 I am more than ready and excited for the responsibilities and the duties of a moderator.

• Like 1

Heya Humbug,

Humbug, this app is extremely detailed, filled to the brim with commands and explaining each situation extremely well, I know Humbug from being a 501st Officer, when he first got in he was extremely helpful with his skills, I have no doubt he can show this in a Staff sense 

+1

• Like 1

I thought it was a real douchey move when you ditched 7th with no explanation whatsoever, however after reading this I understand where you’re coming from.

When I was CO of 7th my life was go to work for 10-12 hours a day come home, play gateway, go to bed, repeat. At times  it was mentally exhausting, especially around CO promotions from Field Com to Marshal when you had to bust your ass off to get them. On a few occasions I felt like ditching the reg and handing it down to whoever was next in line to receive it, but in the end I pushed on Since I’d already come so far.

It’s great that you have given explanation you did, even if that meant tapping a little into your personal life. Most understand the state of your mental health takes priority. I’m glad you’ve gotten better and feel you’re ready to make a return to the server. Good luck with your application bud, take care.

• Love 1

Deja vu
I've just been in this place before
Higher on the street
And I know it's my time to go

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I thought it was a real douchey move when you ditched 7th with no explanation whatsoever, however after reading this I understand where you’re coming from.

When I was CO of 7th my life was go to work for 10-12 hours a day come home, play gateway, go to bed, repeat. At times  it was mentally exhausting, especially around CO promotions from Field Com to Marshal when you had to bust your ass off to get them. On a few occasions I felt like ditching the reg and handing it down to whoever was next in line to receive it, but in the end I pushed on Since I’d already come so far.

It’s great that you have given explanation you did, even if that meant tapping a little into your personal life. Most understand the state of your mental health takes priority. I’m glad you’ve gotten better and feel you’re ready to make a return to the server. Good luck with your application bud, take care.

Thanks for understanding. My time in 7th didn't end the way I would have hoped it had but i'm glad that it's behind me now. Now that i'm with the 501st I hope that i'm able to make the impact with the newer players that I hoped I would make as 7th Sky CO. 

bro how are we certain you're even gonna rock up to your tickets and sits on time smh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Serbo said:

bro how are we certain you're even gonna rock up to your tickets and sits on time smh.

That's a very fair criticism. As I previously mentioned in my foreword, the primary reason for my lacklustre performance as a EM last year was because of real life stuff that I had to deal with at the time. It was a pretty heavy time back then and Gateway really took a backseat. I really enjoyed being an EM (regardless of bad I was at it), and it wasn't that I didn't like making events anymore, its just I didn't have the energy to. However, now in 2020 I have overcome those aforementioned troubles to a large extent, and now the drive I have to actively help and participate in the community is stronger than ever.I really enjoy being on Gateway and I want to help it the best I can. I know you guys from your perspective have no reason to take my word for anything, but I can ensure that i'll put 110% to make up for the fuck ups I made last year.

Edited by Humbug

Your application is well detailed and clear to read which is always is a positive thing. Your written responses to the situations show a good understanding of how to act as a member of the staff team with few hiccups, which will be ironed out during a trial phase if your application is accepted.

As someone who wasn't around when you were an EM last year, nor someone who knows you too well from since you've returned this year, I cannot comment on your character. I'll begin to keep an eye out for you around the server however until I have developed a deeper understanding of your persona, my vote will be Neutral.

• Like 1

Ello,

In regards to your application, it expresses an immense effort. Your answer/s to 

How will you becoming a moderator impact our community?

caught my eye. In my eye, the staffing role (commands, sits, etc...) can be moderately easily taught. More importantly, you have expressed deeply your passion and keenness towards helping others and the overall community... one of the many characteristics you must have to be considered.
You have clear language and great vocabulary in all aspects. As well as emphasising your knowledge on commands and scenarios.

In terms of yourself, I haven't had any personal interactions with yourself. Although... it might have been yesterday that I had to pull you aside for going against server rules (RDM/Minge... I can't recall). I'm sure you can understand why it isn't the best idea to have first impressions brought up from sits or occ/staff reasons, with either myself or the rest of the staff team.
I don't hold grudges, but I would only suggest completely ridding any rule breaking/minge so you do not get caught up in this same situation with myself or other staff members.

Considering many newer players have joined the staff team, start fresh in terms of relations and your overall persona. Hop around the TS and be annoying about it. It's easy to write how keen someone can be.
Extend this to the entirety of the community.

❤️ 

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Stingel said:

Your application is well detailed and clear to read which is always is a positive thing. Your written responses to the situations show a good understanding of how to act as a member of the staff team with few hiccups, which will be ironed out during a trial phase if your application is accepted.

As someone who wasn't around when you were an EM last year, nor someone who knows you too well from since you've returned this year, I cannot comment on your character. I'll begin to keep an eye out for you around the server however until I have developed a deeper understanding of your persona, my vote will be Neutral.

Hey, probably for the best that you didn't see me as an EM last year. But yeah, since coming back I have been focusing the primary amount of my time into the 501st, so I haven't had a lot of time to get accustomed to people I haven't met before such as yourself. However, as of this application, I am putting in more effort to talking to people from different regiements and joining everyone's teamspeak channel so I can open my sphere and engage myself more in the community. If you see me on the server, feel free to say hi. I'd be happy to talk to you.

11 hours ago, Flea said:

Ello,

In regards to your application, it expresses an immense effort. Your answer/s to 

caught my eye. In my eye, the staffing role (commands, sits, etc...) can be moderately easily taught. More importantly, you have expressed deeply your passion and keenness towards helping others and the overall community... one of the many characteristics you must have to be considered.
You have clear language and great vocabulary in all aspects. As well as emphasising your knowledge on commands and scenarios.

In terms of yourself, I haven't had any personal interactions with yourself. Although... it might have been yesterday that I had to pull you aside for going against server rules (RDM/Minge... I can't recall). I'm sure you can understand why it isn't the best idea to have first impressions brought up from sits or occ/staff reasons, with either myself or the rest of the staff team.
I don't hold grudges, but I would only suggest completely ridding any rule breaking/minge so you do not get caught up in this same situation with myself or other staff members.

Considering many newer players have joined the staff team, start fresh in terms of relations and your overall persona. Hop around the TS and be annoying about it. It's easy to write how keen someone can be.
Extend this to the entirety of the community.

❤️ 

Hey, thank you for your feedback and your advice. I appreciate you putting in the time and effort to provide me with such a detailed response. 

As for that situation you mentioned, I was stuck inside of someone at spawn in last Friday's 6:30 event, and then I killed them so I could get out. I only did this because I remember back in 2019, that's how most people got out when they all got stuck in each other while in bunks. However once you told me that it was not on, I quickly realised that that's not how it's done anymore so I apologise for that.

I had a super quick chat with you in Buck's teamspeak channel today, but I hope I get to speak to people more in game and on the teamspeak.

Edited by Humbug
  • +1 1

Hello Humbug, what a extensive and detailed application. This response will include both positive and negative feedback as well as for some advice you can choose to take or not.

This may come off as harsh but believe the appeal to nature in the beginning of your app to be unprofessional and unnecessary. Even though I do hope you are doing better, and that I agree mental health is very important, many people on the server deal with mental health issues and or daily stresses without including it into their applications. I believe that you should have faith that you activity and time spent on the server should reflect your merits, and inform whether you are capable for the position on a staff team. If you believe that without a lengthy explanation into why you should be reconsidered, appealing to people emotions, then maybe you shouldn't put up the application in the first place. You should be purely judged by what people read in your app, and how you present yourself to server. I would not include information about how I could not fulfill my last staff position due to the fact that I was busy building dog shelters for abandoned dogs.

But this brings me to my second point, if we are to purely judge someone on their merits and character they display on their mod app and in-game, I believe second chances are always in order, and I like you, always look to improve in anyway possible, and the best way to do that is by making mistakes. I may not have been present at the time of your EM-JEM stint, but clearly you have returned and decided to make some changes. Clearly you are proficient mediating and using commands, but I wold only recommend that you take Ddos threats more seriously, and try explore alternate avenues in terms of investigating and responding to situations. This is only a suggestion as you responses work well and are detailed.

My issues with some of this I don't have much knowledge who you are, so maybe try to expand you socialization with other players.

I believe that you should get the opportunity under close scrutiny from the rest of the staff team.

Sitting on decent +1

• Love 1

Ignorant and Flea have basically covered mostly what I wanted to say but to add to that I want to see you interact with the community more, especially in ts. Jump to channels talk to people and interact. I'm happy for you to come and talk to me and ask for any advice or help. 

+1

Edited by Pab
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignorant said:

Hello Humbug, what a extensive and detailed application. This response will include both positive and negative feedback as well as for some advice you can choose to take or not.

This may come off as harsh but believe the appeal to nature in the beginning of your app to be unprofessional and unnecessary. Even though I do hope you are doing better, and that I agree mental health is very important, many people on the server deal with mental health issues and or daily stresses without including it into their applications. I believe that you should have faith that you activity and time spent on the server should reflect your merits, and inform whether you are capable for the position on a staff team. If you believe that without a lengthy explanation into why you should be reconsidered, appealing to people emotions, then maybe you shouldn't put up the application in the first place. You should be purely judged by what people read in your app, and how you present yourself to server. I would not include information about how I could not fulfill my last staff position due to the fact that I was busy building dog shelters for abandoned dogs.

But this brings me to my second point, if we are to purely judge someone on their merits and character they display on their mod app and in-game, I believe second chances are always in order, and I like you, always look to improve in anyway possible, and the best way to do that is by making mistakes. I may not have been present at the time of your EM-JEM stint, but clearly you have returned and decided to make some changes. Clearly you are proficient mediating and using commands, but I wold only recommend that you take Ddos threats more seriously, and try explore alternate avenues in terms of investigating and responding to situations. This is only a suggestion as you responses work well and are detailed.

My issues with some of this I don't have much knowledge who you are, so maybe try to expand you socialization with other players.

I believe that you should get the opportunity under close scrutiny from the rest of the staff team.

Sitting on decent +1

This is a very fair criticism, and thank you for taking the time to write this. I always appreciate when people put effort into their feedback.

I understand how my foreword could be interpreted as a little bit of a pity parade, but I in no way want this to be the case. The only reason I put it up is because I want people to judge me on my actions now, not those I did last year, and in order for them to do that they needed a little bit of context.

I really don't want to touch on that aspect of my life anymore than I already have, so yeah it is what it is.

I'll be sure to try and have a chat with you when I see you in the teamspeak. I'm trying to speak to as many people as possible in the next few weeks so hopefully you'll be able to get a feel for the type of person I am.

Edited by Humbug
  • Like 1

Looks like you have a put a lot of work in to this app but speaking on more of a personal level, I haven't known you long but from the interactions we have had you are very mature, friendly and supportive. I think your personality is perfect for the moderation team and I hope the best for ya, best of luck mate : ) 

+1

- Pluto

Edited by Pluto
  • Like 1