s8n

CW: Server Timeline Vote

What Timeline?  

103 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What Timeline?

Hello everyone, 

A recent question as of late has been "Where are we at with the timeline?"

As of recent we've been pretty pressed with the idea of setting a defined timeline period, seeing as season 7 of the clone wars has concluded, it's given us time to see the story from start to finish. 

This has brought myself and management to a point where we are torn with two different options of where to sit and hover at in the timeline, which will be listed below. 

Option 1: Season Four
The season four option would be ideal for the purpose of lore character involvement (Ahsoka remains in the Jedi Order, Fives is still alive, etc.), it would put us in a position that is essentially the closest to the "middle" of the Clone Wars, while still being in Phase 2. This period in the Clone Wars would allow events to have a non-lore specific orientated, however, will be able to involve a large range of villains as people like Cad Bane weren't in in Prison for an extensive time or weren't dead.

Option 2: Season Six (End of season 6/the gap between season 6 and 7)
The season six option would allow for less lore characters (Ahsoka has left the Jedi Order, Echo is dead, etc.) but will allow the characters that remain to have more development and roleplay opportunities. Being towards the end of the Clone Wars would allow us to hint at things like Order 66 and the fall of the Republic, sort of how the Clone Wars T.V series progressed, it was uplifting and eventually got darker, we would be around the dark period.

Each option has it's own set of issues that would currently change the way we play the server currently.

• We would either have a bunch of lore characters for a wide range of different regiments or we have limited lore characters.
  • Roleplay would be subtly changed, as i stated previously, things like Order 66 would be hinted at.
  • Equal event opportunities, however, each option would entail a different timeline which would include more or less possibilities to event characters or stories. 

A large problem with our current timeline is that we have no real idea where we're at, we can infer since Echo is in Bad Batch, we are somewhere around season 7, however, this is way too late for us, we're wanting to move back and refine who exists and what makes sense.

We want to seek  your input and decide on what you want to do, we encourage if you play the server that you vote. 

Any discussions or questions can be posted in the comments and will be answered by management members. 

• Like 2
  • Shocker 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Love 1

Although our server would be more then ample at providing a unique roleplay experience for either option, I myself find myself leaning more towards Season Six than Four. 

It may be a symptom of the fact that I've been playing too long, but I've been playing around that season four threshold for years, I at least, want something a bit newer. I feel that Six would allow that, we'd be able to update the models the server has to be more akin to those we see in Season 6 and beyond (A longer hair Anakin, Robed Jedi as they begin to transition from full-time war combatants, some new clones and enemies.) It'd also as mentioned, provide us with quite a few campaign and event opportunities, arc's like the Dark Disciples and the unification of the Wookies to name but two are in play around this time. I think it'd be a breath of fresh air to start to integrate some of this stuff.

It lends credence to a lot of new roleplay opportunities given the darker tone as the war closes and undoubtedly, get's bloodier. We'd be able to integrate some of the content of the later seasons, allowing some new ideas to be opened into the server. Which given we've seen this story to it's conclusion, allows us a realm of new opportunities and gameplay. Some of which I'd be very excited to see.

• Like 1

I don’t see why we have to have to be in a specific point in the timeline, all it does is restrict what we can do on the server. Why can’t we just be open to everything? Have every lore character available, have every villain/faction available to use, etc. 

It may get messy but I think it’d just be a better experience all around.

• Thinking 2
  • Love 1
  • -1 4
  • +1 5

Posted (edited)

My Suggestion is make our Own Time line continue after the Siege Of mandalore And if order 66 didn’t happen like alternative timeline And a lot of the Lore characters are still alive 

Edited by 14
  • Quality Post 1
  • -1 7
  • +1 1

2 minutes ago, 14 said:

My Suggestion is make our Own Time line continue after the Siege Of mandalore And if order 66 didn’t happen like alternative timeline And a lot of the Lore characters are still alive 

9 minutes ago, Pork said:

I don’t see why we have to have to be in a specific point in the timeline, all it does is restrict what we can do on the server. Why can’t we just be open to everything? Have every lore character available, have every villain/faction available to use, etc. 

It may get messy but I think it’d just be a better experience all around.

Because it breaks canon and essentially ruins the most important part of roleplay; immersion.

• Haha 1
  • +1 2

9 minutes ago, s8n said:

Because it breaks canon and essentially ruins the most important part of roleplay; immersion.

Yeah, breaking canon is kind of the point of what I said. And I disagree with the immersion part. I don’t think there’s anything big enough currently that breaks immersion anyway. Seeing Ahsoka running around while seeing Echo in CF99 isn’t gonna break my immersion, you’d have to be really picky for that to be an issue.

• Love 5
  • -1 1

I'm somewhat impartial to both, but I feel it's a needed change. As it stands, I worry cannot be consistent and fair about what we add to the server and if it falls into RP. It'll fundamentally be just what myself and other members of management like/don't like which I feel isn't fair on you guys. Eg. 332nd, Clone Assassins etc. And while we may loose some people as we change, there's alot more Clone Troopers/Jedi that we can tap into which we simply haven't done content for yet that don't have to be reanimated.

In other words, I'd like a consistent policy across the board and giving us a timeline position will allow us to-do that, plus a bunch of other perks for people more invested in the roleplay aspect of the server. In no ways should it be too restrictive, because ideally we'll start allowing more individualized and unique companies that could exist at the time. While this is more of a personal opinion, while 501st might not get their 332nd, the prospect of a jet-pack company in 10,000 clone legion is not insanity and I hope we can embrace that as we go forward.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

My immersion breaks knowing that Mary Poppins squad even exists

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • +1 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, s8n said:

That's the point of the server. If we truly want to keep to canon, then more then 90% of the server is immersion breaking as almost most things are not canon, and if we choose the between 6-7 route, more then Alpha-ARCs are dead such as Colt and Havoc,, hell the entire rank structure not canon. Canonicity is thrown out when we have custom-created characters to play as.  Gateway is, how I see it goes to the "what if" approach to the events within the Star Wars universe. We don't need to strictly follow timeline as more then 90% of the sever is not even in canon/legends anyways. The only thing that breaks my immersion is what Rhinous said, there's an literal Mary Poppin's squad that uses fecking umbrella instead of jetpacks or droppods lmao.

But I have seen enough of the things in Season 4 area of the events, so I might vote for going between 6-7 for this one.

Edited by Captain Flowers
  • Like 1

I feel season 4 would be a good fit in the server.

I feel like with the addition to season 7 it kept creeping up at exactly what time the server was actually at.
Season 4 is best of both world. We dont have the underlining feeling of order 66 but we are also half way through the clone wars so we can be abit more laxed on missions and RP 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Captain Flowers said:

That's the point of the server. If we truly want to keep to canon, then more then 90% of the server is immersion breaking as almost most things are not canon, and if we choose the between 6-7 route, more then Alpha-ARCs are dead such as Colt and Havoc,, hell the entire rank structure not canon. Canonicity is thrown out when we have custom-created characters to play as.  Gateway is, how I see it goes to the "what if" approach to the events within the Star Wars universe. We don't need to strictly follow timeline as more then 90% of the sever is not even in canon/legends anyways. The only thing that breaks my immersion is what Rhinous said, there's an literal Mary Poppin's squad that uses fecking umbrella instead of jetpacks or droppods lmao.

But I have seen enough of the things in Season 4 area of the events, so I might vote for going between 6-7 for this one.

The lore Master has spoken.

• Like 1
  • +1 4

8 hours ago, Captain Flowers said:

Half of what you said is why we’re doing this lol, so we can get rid of characters who are actually dead and who don’t exist in that given point in the timeline, meaning people might not being able to play as Colt and Havoc etc. 

3 hours ago, Lιʅ Akali said:

@s8n Will there be a specific date for a decision to be made?

We’ll most likely give it another day or two, then we’ll pick what one has more votes. Looking like Season 6 right now though. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Captain Flowers said:

Gateway is, how I see it goes to the "what if" approach to the events within the Star Wars universe. We don't need to strictly follow timeline as more then 90% of the sever is not even in canon/legends anyways. The only thing that breaks my immersion is what Rhinous said, there's an literal Mary Poppin's squad that uses fecking umbrella instead of jetpacks or droppods lmao.

Unless what I've said is lost, this change does not mean we're going to spear tackle any sort of creativity. Custom Characters or off-branch lore is fine, the Clone Wars was the largest war the galaxy had ever seen full-stop, it's not outside of the reams of possibility for the things that normally happen on Gateway to happen and we don't want to limit what was. In no way would non-lore campaigns, missions or characters be banned. That would be absurd. What we're trying to-do is, stop taking pre-existing lore and changing it randomly. I feel we should of put a no change option, because it seems this change may be rather unpopular.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Season 6 is gonna mean half our lore characters get dropped isn't it? Yikers guys

• Sad 2
  • -1 1

Bring back phase 1 please

• Quality Post 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spirit said:

Season 6 is gonna mean half our lore characters get dropped isn't it? Yikers guys

A good chunk, yes

Any chance we can get a third option of "none" Just so people with my point of view can be heard? Cause there seems to be quite a few of us.

• +1 1

Posted (edited)

Uh yea, I dont think many people were legitimately concerned about the state of the server's timeline out of the situation of casual server discussion/bitching. Both options offer trivial changes to the server that would only currently inconvenience players, there has been a rather long time since I have seen EMs create events directly affected by the clone wars timeline, and that would be the only reason i would justify this tiny change, just to give the EM team a stronger foothold in creating more "in-universe" events.

On that note, the events i have seen happen are well done and have encouraged new and old EMs to be creative with their events, now that they have the opportunity to tailor events to a handful of reg's at a time, so personally i dont think the change would hugely impact the server for the better.

Timeline votes like this would be a much more important discussion if the timeline were to be reset, rather than adjusted.

my vote for now is: Don't care, didnt ask, too busy chimpin.

Edited by Budds
  • Haha 1
  • +1 3

Posted (edited)

Why let the timeline affect the servers available cast? 

Shouldn't the quality of how the stories being presented to the playerbase be of greater concern? I dont know about anyone else but how the Order 66 event was handled feels like an awesome way to present a "Server Timeline" in a way that isnt as self defeating as potentially having to remove half the characters. By choosing to have "Story Events" be true reenactments rather than rough approximations it may be easier for you to explore these fun and iconic moments throughout the star wars prequilogy. With the addition of the event server you could have these "Story Events" more easily take place by setting the event server itself up to handle this story specifically. Would allow for larger population events by taking greater time to reduce overall content usage and impact down to whats necessary. 

Tldr; The Story Timeline should be limited to Story events and not have a real negative impact on the day 2 day of server operation. I think in general yall should embrace the infinite possibility that comes with the ability to create stories that involve charcaters interacting that in cannon interpretations would never be possible. 

P.S. I think like others I would be interested in seeing other options discussed here in the comments be offered as potential 3rd/4th options. Seen a bit of discussion how the server timeline itself is approached. 

Edited by Servius
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Servius said:

Why let the timeline affect the servers available cast? 

Shouldn't the quality of how the stories being presented to the playerbase be of greater concern? I dont know about anyone else but how the Order 66 event was handled feels like an awesome way to present a "Server Timeline" in a way that isnt as self defeating as potentially having to remove half the characters. By choosing to have "Story Events" be true reenactments rather than rough approximations it may be easier for you to explore these fun and iconic moments throughout the star wars prequilogy. With the addition of the event server you could have these "Story Events" more easily take place by setting the event server itself up to handle this story specifically. Would allow for larger population events by taking greater time to reduce overall content usage and impact down to whats necessary. 

Tldr; The Story Timeline should limited to Story events and not have a real negative impact on the day 2 day of server operation. I think in general yall should embrace the infinite possibility that comes with the ability to create stories that involve charcaters interacting that in cannon interpretations would never be possible. 

this, this and this.

• Like 2