Sign in to follow this  
Noc

PassiveRP Event Criticism on Large Maps

Now I'm writing this as I multi-task with chores and the like, and I'm simply sleep deprived, but after spending some time on the server again, and playing through a few events, I've come to have one gripe with a certain style of event.

PassiveRP events can be fun, they can immerse you in the same way active combat events could, but unfortunately, as a player, come to experience something that kind of kills the mood for me.

I have noticed a few EMs attempt PassiveRP on event maps, making an attempt to utilize the entire map - which as a concept isn't bad at all. It's good that EMs use an entire map to the best of it's ability, however coming with one downfall which is really just large open areas with nothing to do but trudge through them. I've experienced multiple times now in a less combat intensive event there's just a lot of running, so much running. Nothing to bump into between objectives, nothing to inspect, just so. Much. Walking. It's mind numbing. For the average player, speaking for myself here, walking for 5-10 minutes to an objective only to find out that there's already some regiments at the point of interest doing all there is to do there just ends up disheartening to really take part in. 

My suggestion that I feel could be a good place to start, is that if you're going to use an entire map for a more passive event, put something down between the long hauls. Give the average Joe of the clone army something to bump into on their trek to the spot ordered to march towards, make them feel included enough that even if they don't walk all the way to the other side of the map (slight exaggeration), there's still something they can form a little roleplay with, with their own little crew of friends. Have intermediary points of interest along the route to the objective that don't affect the outcome of the event, just something to make those who might otherwise get a little disheartened about massive walks, feel like it's worth it to actually take part while the main objective is completed. I'm not talking about a breadcrumb trail to lead players, but simply roleplay 'stations' that could appeal to regiments that will not typically hold much interest at the main objective.

Again I'm sorry if this is hard to read. I'm operating at zero sleep right now, but I hope that my point is understood.

What are your guys' opinions?

• Like 1

TL;DR - Personally felt a little excluded during larger Passive style events, attempting to put it into words.

• Like 1