Sean

Day-Night cycle on Anaxes and Jania

I'm just interested in what people think about it but I think that a day-night cycle on all the ground bases like Anaxes and Jania would add to RP and provide a more immersive experience especially for patrols outside base. If it was implemented it shouldn't be so dark so that people can't see where they're going but just enough that patrols and people outside the main base (E.G people on the runway on Anaxes) would have to switch on their flashlights. Also lights could also be placed around the base that switch on during the night which would give the opportunity for some cool lighting designs.

• Like 1
  • +1 1

33 minutes ago, Frostiey said:

I don't think we have two versions of the map to do this

It's an addon that automatically changes it over hrs, no need to change map.

1 hour ago, Sean Bean said:

I'm just interested in what people think about it but I think that a day-night cycle on all the ground bases like Anaxes and Jania would add to RP and provide a more immersive experience especially for patrols outside base. If it was implemented it shouldn't be so dark so that people can't see where they're going but just enough that patrols and people outside the main base (E.G people on the runway on Anaxes) would have to switch on their flashlights. Also lights could also be placed around the base that switch on during the night which would give the opportunity for some cool lighting designs.

I do believe from previous experience that this addon does cause some sort of lag, fps/ping wise. May be wrong

12 minutes ago, Gibbzy said:

I do believe from previous experience that this addon does cause some sort of lag, fps/ping wise. May be wrong

Most of the time it's parts of the addon that force weather cycles, rain, snow, fog and other screen cluttering shit. There's ways to disable that.

1 hour ago, Budds said:

Most of the time it's parts of the addon that force weather cycles, rain, snow, fog and other screen cluttering shit. There's ways to disable that.

Yeah, because you'd mainly just want to change the skybox and light levels right?

1 hour ago, Sean Bean said:

Yeah, because you'd mainly just want to change the skybox and light levels right?

In theory yes, however these systems dont always funtion properly on certain maps. Lightmaps are built into the map file and are not directly editable through an addon, normally "Day/night cycle" addons do this through screen overlays or coloured fog, which can obviously be annoying when lights and flashlights dont function properly during "night" phases.

The other issue is that not all maps use a 3D skybox, which is what these addons change to simulate the night sky. The result of these addons on maps that dont use 3d skyboxes is the stuff inside the map goes dark but the skybox texture will remain bright.

Unless every map in our rotation meets these criteria, it will probably look wack and ruin the experience for players.

(i'm not a mapper, i just speak from experience with similar addons)

Edited by Budds
  • Like 1