Revolver Ocelot

Michael 'Mick' Allen's Developer Application

Checklist:

Steam Profile Link: https://steamcommunity.com/id/RevOcelotMGS

In-Game Name: Michael 'Mick' Allen (formerly Mick)

Teamspeak Name: Sub Officer Michael Allen (formerly Mick)

Playtime (Server you are wanting to develop for): Clone Wars RP: around 90 hours as of the last edit.

Questions:

Programming:

Known Programming Languages (LUA, CPP, PYTHON, etc.):

Lua (limited to editing existing lua mods or lua bases like LFS plane templates) C# (to a degree) 

What content did you want to create for Gateway?

I can create LFS planes off templates, as well as create new items, entities or weapons (provided they have templates and I have some understanding of the base used)

Have you created any scripts or content (If so, provide below)?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1585044321 (LFS Devastator)

Model Creation & Texture Artist:

What program/s do you use?

I heavily use Blender; however fork called bforartists due to its more user friendly interface and compatibility with older and newer versions of Blender (it is based on 2.79 instead of the new 2.8)

noesis I can use to extract models from certain games using python scripts

paint.net I use the most for texture edits

photoshop I use not as much but when more complex texture editing is required

Crowbar I can use to decompile and recompile existing Source models for use in Blender or Garry's Mod respectively

3DS Max is only used for ripping certain models from games (like noesis) using maxscripts

I can also use NinjaRipper to a degree.

On a scale of 1-10, how well do you know how to use said programs:

Blender (bforartists fork): 5

noesis: 9

paint.net: 9

Photoshop: 4

Crowbar: 9

3DS Max: 2 (only know the bare minimum for exporting and importing ripped models VIA maxscripts from games like Halo)

NinjaRipper: 4

What content did you want to create for Gateway?

I am interested in creating texture and simple model edit mods for existing models, as well as creating simple props and geometry which can be used by builders to spice up maps. I can also rig models that do not have a rig (rig meaning they cannot be animated) such as new player models or character models.

Have you created any content (If so, provide below)?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1585044321 (the model was ripped from Crimson Skies, heavily modified and optimized for Garry's Mod via Bforartists. The stock red texture was recreated from its original 512x512 resolution in high def by first using an ai upscaler and then making my own edits to smooth out the texture and also make the text clear.)

I have also fixed the broken fingers on the new Navy models; which was caused due to incorrect bone placement and weighting. This is still pending approval by the author of the original mod before it is used.

TOS:

It's important to recognize that IF you become a Developer for Gateway Gaming, the content you possibly provide is for the use on Gateway Gaming ONLY. If you are caught distributing any content without the permission of the Executive Staff team, you will be community banned.

Do you agree to this?

Yes.

Extra notes:

I have made mods for videogames outside of Garry's Mod for years now, although the first mod i've properly released on the Steam Workshop for Garry's Mod was made last year.

I've made several weapon mods for Ravenfield; as well as mods for a VR game called Blade & Sorcery. Outside of that I've also made VRChat worlds and avatars.

I have experience with the Unity engine, which I can use to render models and/or objects like ships (this could be used to render new prop or ship images for Gateway). I am also creating my own fan-made Halo game in Unity along with several other people in a team.

I am also capable of music composition; perhaps my strongest suit and skill.

Edited by Revolver Ocelot
added some extra stuff
  • Like 2
  • Shocker 1
  • Thinking 2

As an example, can you make a custom LFS Star Wars themed vehicle or Star Wars themed item? + attach images.

Edited by Merc
  • Like 5

Can you show any proof that you know what your doing in terms of modelling and whatnot. No offence but the link you provided of the plane could be optimised in blender by edges to make everything planar, or even thrown into a program like re-mesher and done automatically. Have you got any previous modelling work that you can provide?

Edited by Cuffs
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Cuffs said:

Can you show any proof that you know what your doing in terms of modelling and whatnot. No offence but the link you provided of the plane could be optimised in blender by edges to make everything planar, or even thrown into a program like re-mesher and done automatically. Have you got any previous modelling work that you can provide?

The original Ravenfield Halo weapon mods that I had made had models made by me with the help of several other Ravenfield modders (who also introduced me to bforartists), before I transitioned to using ripped models.

This was done on the Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle and the original iterations of the M6C and SMG. I'm currently stuck in class right now, but you can see my Battle Rifle and Assault Rifle in action in this YouTube video: 

I've also provided a snapshot of the Assault Rifle and Battle Rifle (in FP).
ED09784B50B6FEE049AD5941CC31500A94F9340C

246345FB1A6A7FD83DA5704BB45C661F28C0EE94

As for rigging, you can ask Flux (JamWay) and s8n for an image I had posted in a group DM on Discord showing me having fixed the rigging on the Navy models' fingers. I also did a screen share call with Flux showing what I did to fix the fingers (and me pulling it off) although I'm not sure if he recorded it or not.

The 'heavy modifications' done for the Crimson Skies Devastator included fixing incorrect submesh placements (the initial export script that I had used to nab the Devastator's model did not correctly position ailerons and airbrakes, which were both rotated at awkward angles and positioned incorrectly as well as the UVs not being applied correctly, which I had to manually patch up. Optimizations simply consisted of removing double vertices and correcting incorrect normals.

I've also made model edits for said mods that I've made in Blade & Sorcery, including the M6C, BR55 and SMG (which were not actually made by me this time around but a friend of mine). On the BR55, the original model was based off the Heavy Barrel variant from Halo 3; I had made an edit to remove the longer barrel and second underbarrel to restore the base variant from Halo 2, although the Heavy Barrel variant is still available.

The M6C was originally based off the M6C SOCOM from Halo 3; I had to remove the SOCOM bits to restore it to the original Halo 2 magnum (although again the SOCOM variant is available!)

The SMG was again based off the suppressed variant from Halo 3 which I just again edited to remove the suppressor and the sight attachment. Again, that variant is available as well.

I also did texture edits on the DMR, MA5B and MA5C weapon models to remove the original ammo counter from the display texture; that way I could add a proper ammo counter. 

Proof of all that junk can be found on the B&S Discord. If required otherwise, I'm happy to send you images of everything when I'm home and on my main computer.

There is also another game project that involves a lot of heavy editing that I've made to models, including optimisation, UVing and texturing, etc; if you wish I can DM you screenshots and/or the invite link to the server for it so you can see for yourself, but at the moment it's fairly closed doors, and not stuff I should be showing off in public.

11 hours ago, Merc said:

As an example, can you make a custom LFS Star Wars themed vehicle or Star Wars themed item? + attach images.

If you have any resources I can use to do that (model, texture, sounds, etc) I should be able to pull something off fairly quickly; otherwise it may take a while 'til I can deliver.

better and more images
  • Like 1

Might I recommend something like a gunship or transport for extra brownie points as I find they are more complicated style of LFS Vehicle and we are currently in the market for someone who is capable of that.

4 minutes ago, Aussi said:

Might I recommend something like a gunship or transport for extra brownie points as I find they are more complicated style of LFS Vehicle and we are currently in the market for someone who is capable of that.

Jarvis has recommended I do the LAAT vehicle transport; I'm doing that, along with possibly another toy the Navy might find useful afterwards.

Oh; quick question. Am I allowed to borrow code from other stuff like the base LAAT to get the VTOL for example?

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Revolver Ocelot said:

Oh; quick question. Am I allowed to borrow code from other stuff like the base LAAT to get the VTOL for example?

Best etiquette is to check the workshop page for usage disclaimers, or directly ask the original creator. Usually people dont care if ____ has the same fuction as NEW ______, but better safe than sorry.

11 hours ago, Budds said:

Best etiquette is to check the workshop page for usage disclaimers, or directly ask the original creator. Usually people dont care if ____ has the same fuction as NEW ______, but better safe than sorry.

Gotcha; thanks. Should have something ready by the end of the week.

15 hours ago, Revolver Ocelot said:

Jarvis has recommended I do the LAAT vehicle transport; I'm doing that, along with possibly another toy the Navy might find useful afterwards.

if you are doing LAAT vehicle transport maybe add a body group that shows the ATTE load up or maybe try to find out how when the ATTE is under the loading part of LAAT your can remove it and place it in the back of the LAAT 

On 11/6/2019 at 10:07 AM, Revolver Ocelot said:

As for rigging, you can ask Flux (JamWay) and s8n for an image I had posted in a group DM on Discord showing me having fixed the rigging on the Navy models' fingers. I also did a screen share call with Flux showing what I did to fix the fingers (and me pulling it off) although I'm not sure if he recorded it or not.

I did not record it but can 100% vouch, I may not know much about Development and Modelling but it was already clear that he had improved the fingers of the model when he showed me it afterwards.

Obviously the model still needs work in other areas such as the Neck, Shoulders and chest but it was a massive improvement already. He was also extremely nice and even took me through what he was doing to the model in order for me to understand.

+1

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, JamWay said:

I did not record it but can 100% vouch, I may not know much about Development and Modelling but it was already clear that he had improved the fingers of the model when he showed me it afterwards.

Obviously the model still needs work in other areas such as the Neck, Shoulders and chest but it was a massive improvement already. He was also extremely nice and even took me through what he was doing to the model in order for me to understand.

+1

Thanks for the vouch, friend!

Meanwhile; sneak peek.

unknown.png

There's still a ton to do, especially in terms of figuring out how I'd get those wheels at the back to work, and handling, but so far so good.

• Like 2

I'll be releasing a beta-ish version of the LAAT/c shortly on the Steam Workshop.

Current limitations:

Collision is awkward. I have not touched the model at all yet, but you are currently unable to walk under it. If GG desires for me to make a proper LAAT/c for the server I can go ahead and try to fix it up, although I have never attempted physics/collision models before.

Turrets can only shoot forward, and the rear gun is inoperable. I don't understand how the LAAT/i's turret system works, from what I can tell LFS takes advantage of the LAAT/i in the add-on being rigged and using that to pivot the turrets in the direction they should shoot, however I can't quite figure out how you set it up to work like that in the first place.

There might be some errors or bugs I haven't noticed; if this is the case, do hit me w/ 'em and I'll see what I can do.

+1, I'm always a fan of increasing our capacity to create new content for our servers, you have the potential to add another degree of versatility to the team and I'd love to see that. 

Edited by Ajax
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

+1, I'm always a fan of increasing our capacity to create new content for our servers, you have the potential to add another degree of versatility to the team and I'd love to see that. 

Thanks, friend.

29 minutes ago, Revolver Ocelot said:

Feedback would definitely be much appreciated.

Good to see you went ahead and did what I asked about setting up the collision model, from the screenshots and video you sent it's looking good. 

I'll speak to you on teamspeak again shortly after I've had the chance to check out your addon in depth

• Like 1