Sign in to follow this  
Yoho

Downtime ( In Between Events)

in between events is quite boring and I would like to know what you would like to see in between events?

Regiment based operations, passive rp, quests maybe challenges? 

If you've got any ideas feel free to voice you opinion. 

• Thinking 1

7 hours ago, Linguine said:

Some climbswep training would be cool

Surely you jest.

perhaps some more patrols around anaxes would be nice with little convoys of vehicles

• Like 1

A traveling carnival comes into town surely. You could use climb swep, minigames, shooting galleries etc

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Operations should definitely be the focus. Patrols when not in Operation. It would be great if EM's would handle the Operations and patrols as their advisor character prior to their scheduled event slot. Actively having low-pop regiments be paired together on simple patrols or having several low pop support regiments go on ops with a high pop attack focus battalion. Like sending Horn Company/Doom with Galactic Marines.

Downtime activities should not be limited to RP imo. Would be simple enough to have building competitions for the entire hour or two between event slots. Could use these competitions to farm dupes for the actual events; Could have people create something specifically to be used during an event. A cool way to get non-ec's and non-em's involved in the event process. If the Dynamic Shooting Range system (Released by King David for day 2 of Wiltos week) I think holding competitions with that would also be cool. Staff could take the time to flesh out several more game modes for the system and flesh out extra difficulty levels. Something to train with and actually represent someone's skill(unlike the climb swep which for whatever reason is a current measurement of skill). 

Unfortunately Banakin was just removed and that was a great map for downtime RP. Luckily Anaxes is still on the server and that one has a lot of open area as well. Imo Banakin should be added back if there is a new focus on downtime activities as long as there is follow through by the team. Also, Venator should just get cycled out. While it does provide a lot of the essentials and itd suck to not use it every once in a while the Venator_v5 map sucks and it should be taken out of the normal rotation. Bunks are tiny af and as far as Operations go theyd be no where close to Going on a simple patrol outside of the base, going to an outpost and removing a small force of squatting slavers, or chasing down an escaped prisoner in the open world. 

• Like 3

Passive RP activities could also be defined for battalions to automate the process(would be dumb if commanders have to ask for permission to do essentially zero effort activities like these) Similiar to how CG has a whole set of duties basically being cops other groups could have regular activities to fill the time. Like Horn Company would "Reinforce" the main gate or 91st could take up positions in the exterior base towers. Simple things that could give a group something to do for 10-15 minutes a time depending on travel. 

Hiding items on the map that are really hard to find and offering a reward to whoever finds one (or all of them) first might be solid. Really simple "Search and Destroy" practice for regiments with a focus on that type of RP. 

Refueling missions could be common place for groups like 13th, 22nd, and unassigned. Would just need to spawn like 3 props that aren't frozen have them carry them from point a -> b. (if a desired prop is too heavy to be default picked up hmu and I can recompile it for use)

Edited by Servius
  • Like 1

Maybe less mingy versions of the talent show that happened recently, it was tons of fun for everyone and I'm sure if there were more thought out events that were fun like that a lot of people would join in and have some fun.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure the server for the past few months has developed a reputation or created an unwritten rule where spawning NPC's after the 4:30 and before the 8:30 event is a no go. Operations or downtime RP would run much better with a few NPCs (Not too many) and loosening restrictions on spawning NPC's during downtime would go quite far in terms of downtime RP. 

Downtime events as of lately is all Roleplay intensive; which some people may love. But its pretty well known that people would rather shoot stuff instead of talking things out with EC's. While it may* create lag for other people (depending on how many droids you spawn and the map youre in), It would promote more activity during downtime instead of just having regiments train for an hour until the next event pops up.

EDIT: In addition to this, I remember that we restricted prop limit in bunks to promote NPC spawns during downtime, because whats the point of restricting props in bunks if we're not going to take advantage of it

TL:DR - loosen restrictions on spawning NPC's during downtime; 

Edited by Buck7778

1 hour ago, Servius said:

Operations should definitely be the focus. Patrols when not in Operation. It would be great if EM's would handle the Operations and patrols as their advisor character prior to their scheduled event slot. Actively having low-pop regiments be paired together on simple patrols or having several low pop support regiments go on ops with a high pop attack focus battalion. Like sending Horn Company/Doom with Galactic Marines.

Downtime activities should not be limited to RP imo. Would be simple enough to have building competitions for the entire hour or two between event slots. Could use these competitions to farm dupes for the actual events; Could have people create something specifically to be used during an event. A cool way to get non-ec's and non-em's involved in the event process. If the Dynamic Shooting Range system (Released by King David for day 2 of Wiltos week) I think holding competitions with that would also be cool. Staff could take the time to flesh out several more game modes for the system and flesh out extra difficulty levels. Something to train with and actually represent someone's skill(unlike the climb swep which for whatever reason is a current measurement of skill). 

Unfortunately Banakin was just removed and that was a great map for downtime RP. Luckily Anaxes is still on the server and that one has a lot of open area as well. Imo Banakin should be added back if there is a new focus on downtime activities as long as there is follow through by the team. Also, Venator should just get cycled out. While it does provide a lot of the essentials and itd suck to not use it every once in a while the Venator_v5 map sucks and it should be taken out of the normal rotation. Bunks are tiny af and as far as Operations go theyd be no where close to Going on a simple patrol outside of the base, going to an outpost and removing a small force of squatting slavers, or chasing down an escaped prisoner in the open world. 

Banakin was just really inconsistent in terms of performance.

43 minutes ago, Yoho said:

Banakin was just really inconsistent in terms of performance.

If that is based on yesterday's reported oopsy I told yall why it froze up as well as crashed yesterday. Wont repeat here since it was fairly sensitive and could be abused in the future.

Optimization wise Banakin and Anaxes are in the same tier of size and optimization techniques. Its more than likely an overuse/misuse of builder/cosmetic tools.  A lot of the time people are building on Banakin since it had a lot of areas to build in.

2 minutes ago, Servius said:

If that is based on yesterday's reported oopsy I told yall why it froze up as well as crashed yesterday. Wont repeat here since it was fairly sensitive and could be abused in the future.

Optimization wise Banakin and Anaxes are in the same tier of size and optimization techniques. Its more than likely an overuse/misuse of builder/cosmetic tools.  A lot of the time people are building on Banakin since it had a lot of areas to build in.

It wasn’t just yesterday it’s been inconsistent for a long while now ever since we first had the map it’s been like that. Goes through periods where people will put down training courses and the server will start dying 

91st quite often do patrols in the surrounding areas of the base, but unfortunately if done too often they become stale and trooper's don't look forward to doing them when nothing happens. I've seen this is a reason why most regiments don't want to do patrols like they did back on Jania, especially when they don't have access to BARCs. More passive rp during these patrols would hopefully revive the concept of regiment's filling out military-like duties whilst on base. Things like coming across a lost civilian, a ruined vehicle or maybe a small CIS scouting party could make things more interesting. Other things could happen on base too, like larger training sessions that include multiple regiments, cargo needing to be delivered to certain areas. Just general stuff that would be common on a military base.

I don't know, honestly just anything the EM team feels like cooking up in-between event would be appreciated, along with anything other players would like to help make happen.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Corvus said:

91st quite often do patrols in the surrounding areas of the base, but unfortunately if done too often they become stale and trooper's don't look forward to doing them when nothing happens. I've seen this is a reason why most regiments don't want to do patrols like they did back on Jania, especially when they don't have access to BARCs. More passive rp during these patrols would hopefully revive the concept of regiment's filling out military-like duties whilst on base. Things like coming across a lost civilian, a ruined vehicle or maybe a small CIS scouting party could make things more interesting. Other things could happen on base too, like larger training sessions that include multiple regiments, cargo needing to be delivered to certain areas. Just general stuff that would be common on a military base.

I don't know, honestly just anything the EM team feels like cooking up in-between event would be appreciated, along with anything other players would like to help make happen.

The best thing you can do is to communicate/ask staff to set something up. It is rather difficult to spontaneously throw something down, especially if no prior notice happens or if Staff don't even know you're on patrol.

Personally, I'm always happy to set up stuff like this but I need to know players are willing first instead of sitting out somewhere on the map by myself.

• Like 1