Sign in to follow this  
Beatroot

MOTD / Rules CMD

Greetings All,

So I have been a frequent coming and going member of this community and held a bunch of successful, and nonsuccessful role and I can honestly say since the introduction of the new Gamemode I feel something is missing, that is IMO a core cog in Garrys mod servers. That is the ULX Command !rules or !motd These commands have been very useful for me joining and staffing a range of Gmod servers and without them I can honestly say my time as staff & as a player has been a pinch harder.

I know we have a join Motd yet for me nothing appears on the menu itself which renders it utterly useless. I'm not going to go into so much depth as to what it does due to the fact we should all pretty much know at this point. Regardless if we have a first-time rule offender instead of slamming them with a verbal or physical warning we could instruct them to get comfy with the server rules which can be found on this post. Simply join and type !rules which would link to the post mentioned before.

It takes legit no server space nor creates excess lag or issues as it is a CMD that links directly to a URL. Like a Smartsnap suggestion I made so long ago it would be a drag & drop file after being created so there are no negatives to having it. 
Still if you have someone has some wack theory as to why this would be bad I guess express your concern.

@s8ncaat @Rhino 
Maybe the two of you could create something along the lines which would be similar. 

Thank you all.

• Like 4

This is a really good idea and surprising its getting talked about just now, hopefully this can include In character rules like no climbing walls in the base etc. +1

Good idea. And make a big post on the cadet wall with the !rules thingo.

• Like 2

Perhaps rewarding players with experience or pointshop credits for reaching the end of the rules section and ticking a box that they would only see if they actually read the rules? I know pointshop is obsolete to most but we're talking about new players for the most part. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Budds said:

Perhaps rewarding players with experience or pointshop credits for reaching the end of the rules section and ticking a box that they would only see if they actually read the rules? I know pointshop is obsolete to most but we're talking about new players for the most part. 

Ahhh so you mean that thing where you cant press accept until you grab the scroll bar and drag it to the bottom so it thinks you've read the terms

• Like 1

Just now, Ren said:

Ahhh so you mean that thing where you cant press accept until you grab the scroll bar and drag it to the bottom so it thinks you've read the terms

Na i mean, hide a tickbox somewhere in the rules, and you can't accept without finding it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Budds said:

Na i mean, hide a tickbox somewhere in the rules, and you can't accept without finding it

That would probably just drive the player away. I feel like a simple !rules command along with possibly putting the rules on the loading screen as well would be fine.

2 minutes ago, Ren said:

That would probably just drive the player away. I feel like a simple !rules command along with possibly putting the rules on the loading screen as well would be fine.

If they're driven away because they don't want to read server rules, what does that say about them? removes the excuse in sits where they say "i never saw that rule" or "it wasnt told to me"

Just now, Budds said:

If they're driven away because they don't want to read server rules, what does that say about them?

It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort. Having the rules in a command + them needing to go through the rules during training would be more than enough.

1 minute ago, Ren said:

It seems like a lot of unnecessary effort. Having the rules in a command + them needing to go through the rules during training would be more than enough.

Actually reading the server rules is "unecessary effort"? obviously it's contained in the !rules command but you'd want to ensure that it's actually being acnowledged.

Just now, Budds said:

Actually reading the server rules is "unecessary effort"? obviously it's contained in the !rules command but you'd want to ensure that it's actually being acnowledged.

It wouldn't really be acknowledged though. Half the staff team dont know what the rules are. If it were me I'd just look for a checkbox and tick it without reading anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ren said:

It wouldn't really be acknowledged though. Half the staff team dont know what the rules are. If it were me I'd just look for a checkbox and tick it without reading anything.

Then if you get pulled up in a sit for breaking the rules you cant use the excuse "I didn't see it" because you acknowledged you read the rules after clicking the checkbox

1 minute ago, Alluh said:

Then if you get pulled up in a sit for breaking the rules you cant use the excuse "I didn't see it" because you acknowledged you read the rules after clicking the checkbox

The same could be said about going through the rules in training 

2 minutes ago, Ren said:

The same could be said about going through the rules in training 

Yeah true, but I think the !rules command is moreso for after training if you ever need to sus the rules again you don't have to hit legs back to cadet room just to read them you can just pop the quick command in chat and there they are

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alluh said:

Yeah true, but I think the !rules command is moreso for after training if you ever need to sus the rules again you don't have to hit legs back to cadet room just to read them you can just pop the quick command in chat and there they are

I think there should be a !rules command. I just think that needing to tick a box that "acknowledges" you'ver read the rules is excessive 

• Like 2

Although its not a bad idea to have an acknowledgement agreement in the rules so that way minges don't get wiggle room. I agree with Alluh as the command being more for something to look back at as opposed to a contract I guess?

If the !rules command is advertised on the server then there is no excuse either way I guess, if you can't take the time to read a couple of rules that simply state "dont rdm and abuse sweps" then there is no real hope for you if you get caught doing the wrong thing.

The Suggestion has been accepted and added to the server. Making this post resolved!