Budds

Suggestion - Player Accolades

Would you like to see a system like this on the server?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a system like this on the server?

• Yes
    • No
    • I need some more convincing

Backstory

So about two months ago, I proposed an idea to s8n which would provide EM's and players with a lasting effect on the server.

The idea was to reward players for taking part in important server events or campaigns, and give players a reason to work hard and represent their regiments well. Awards could be given out during the final debrief of a campaign or to specific players or regiments that are deserving.

General Description

It's a pretty broad avenue in regards to what these accolades or achievements could entail, and I believe that this would give players a drive to continue trying in events, which i'm sure others have noticed a lack of enthusiasm and playercount as of recent. I believe this would add a charming new element to gameplay and player drive, and would definitely make the server stand out among others.

I cannot provide a working idea of concept as this is just that - a concept. However there do exist certain 'server achievement' addons as well as a possible copy and edit the staff's !warn system, obviously altering it's purpose to reward a player rather than being a staffing tool.

Effect on the Community

This new dynamic would hopefully give EM's the drive to make their missions and campaign memorable, as this would ensure that the EM and the event is remembered permanently in the community. The result of this would also spark an enthusiasm for players, with the chance to get a shiny accolade or medal next to their name.

Visual and Theoretical concepts

This system could function perfectly as a text based system, or possibly given some Interactive user interface flair, with images and such. I whipped up a few concepts for what 'medals' may look like and their possible backstories.

s8Pbplh.png

• Red Ribbon - Generic gold Republic medal, could cover a wide range of actions deserving recognition.
  • Blue Ribbon - Phase 1 clone helmet medal awarded to players that played the server before the switch to phase 2.
  • Green Ribbon - Grievous Head medal, Awarded possibly for any mission or campaign regarding the cyborg general.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• Adds a fresh new dynamic to the gamemode.
  • Not many other servers with this function.
  • Re-engages EM team and Playerbase.
  • Gives EM's the opportunity to leave a lasting effect on the server and it's players.

Cons:

• No current addon or system exists that can accommodate all of these concepts.
  • It would take time.
  • May lead to jealousy and elitist attitudes between players.
  • May be hard to moderate and decide who get's medals and when.

Conclusion

I basically made this whole thread to get the idea out of my head while everything was still intact y'know - before I forgot something. I also clearly want to know how other's would receive this Idea, especially Staff and EM's.

So let me get this straight. You want us to reward soldiers with medals at the end of events or when they deserve it? Like pinnacle medals for extra behavior.

So let me get this straight. You want us to reward soldiers with medals at the end of events or when they deserve it? Like pinnacle medals for extra behavior.

I mean, significant campaigns or missions of notable scale and effort, would have an 'achievement' rewarded to players for participation and completion.

These awards are only for a visual record of what player's have done during their time on the server. As I stated, this could be as simple as having some words next to the players name when checking in a menu interface, similar to how our !warn system tracks previous warns. This menu would be accessible by all players to see who has what and check their own 'achievements'.

Doesn't need to be a big ceremony and waste everyone's time, after a campaign an EM could simply "!award * [AWARD NAME OR REFERENCE NBR]" or something along those lines.

This could be a good idea as long as it is legitimately thought out and not rushed through.

Could be something to look at in the future!

+1.

I remember talking about this with you Budds when Bad Batch was first introduced and s8n was going around asking peoples thoughts for new content idea's. I personally think it is an excellent Idea and could work well as Ren said. It just needs to be properly executed and scripted before ever being released or tested. I don't want to complain but with our current track history of new content everything made has either clashed with something else or been too incomplete to release to the server on a proper scale. So for this to really work and stick it would have to be created and only used as a final copy if you get what I mean. Especially if let's say Avary is doing a Campaign on Saturday and a reward is to be given via this system. But a week later due to it not being complete a bug occurs and it needs to be removed completely and reworked rendering the reward giving useless.

I really like the idea and I think it would be a nice addition to add to "Gateway Gaming" To give it some zest and flare over other Lesser star wars RP servers.

Maybe even add those medals in-game So the players with the medals can put them on or take them off like the pointshop items to boost their ego?

Cool concept, think it will make some players be more active and play campaigns to get these medals like how people used to play for keys ;)

My only concern is the chance of conflicting with other content like Beatroot said.:Poop:

It was a concept I brought up about six months ago with Draa and Flanks as a possible reward for POTW. Though much like how you state, it’s extremely difficult to quantify who exactly requires a medal, a regiment does good? Do we give one to all or none? Do we single one out and cause a divide? We wrote a document about it some time ago and came across a plethora of similar issues. Though from my perspective the whole getting a medal for just being there is not something I agree with, at that point it’s just people flexing about how long they’ve been on the server or in regards to something like a Grevious Medal, arguing that they’ve actually completed one without any actual record of such. If it was sorely merit based, that’d be an idea I would be more inclined to look into.

With Campaigns so few and far apart, I think It’d be worth re-establishing a steady flow of campaigns before debating about the rewards of such. I do definitely believe it’s something that we should have, however, an idea that needs refining.

I remember I suggest the idea of using the actual PAC3 pointshop medals for stuff like player of the week as it gives a badge of honor, much like marvin said I think it would be neat to have those medals ingame and simply make a bunch of retextured versions of them to wear.

I think this system should purely be for people who actually perform very well in the event as opposed to a regiment. I mean they give out medals to Soldiers in the military for their excellent performance. This can also sort of prove someone's worth/skill if they have a bunch of medals from certain things, making feel like something to aspire to then just saying "yeah I did this once"

it would be cool to have more then a pat on the back and something that carries a little value.

I remember I suggest the idea of using the actual PAC3 pointshop medals for stuff like player of the week as it gives a badge of honor, much like marvin said I think it would be neat to have those medals ingame and simply make a bunch of retextured versions of them to wear.

I think this system should purely be for people who actually perform very well in the event as opposed to a regiment. I mean they give out medals to Soldiers in the military for their excellent performance. This can also sort of prove someone's worth/skill if they have a bunch of medals from certain things, making feel like something to aspire to then just saying "yeah I did this once"

it would be cool to have more then a pat on the back and something that carries a little value.

My choice to neglect suggesting physical medal models can be summed up in one word: PAC

PAC is a very hard thing to avoid loopholes with, as it is so dynamic and covers so much territory when it comes to it's applications.

Any physical item that is added can instantly be supplemented through PAC, we can (attempt to) moderate it, but we can also just avoid the issue before it starts.

If they want more than a pat on the back, add more shit to the pointshop like reskinned guns and such, and provide a pointshop point bonus with each 'medal' earned.

My choice to neglect suggesting physical medal models can be summed up in one word: PAC

PAC is a very hard thing to avoid loopholes with, as it is so dynamic and covers so much territory when it comes to it's applications.

Any physical item that is added can instantly be supplemented through PAC, we can (attempt to) moderate it, but we can also just avoid the issue before it starts.

If they want more than a pat on the back, add more shit to the pointshop like reskinned guns and such, and provide a pointshop point bonus with each 'medal' earned.

This is true, I dont doubt there are people petty enough to lie about their achievements. I'd like to see more substance in the F3 menu as right now it seems pretty plain and if you're good enough at PAC then it is pointless.

an awards menu to have a look at everyone's stuff would be nice.