Shenpai

Voice AMP

Sup my dudes I just wanted to ask everyone there thoughts on the use of Voice AMP in events.

I'll give my personal thoughts on it as I've seen it being used more and more.

I dislike Voice AMP for many reasons which I'll list in some detail now

- Voice chatting between squads is almost impossible when an EM is using the Voice AMP as you cant hear your squad mates at all. Some may take this as more of a pet peeve but I believe someone butting in can ruin the moment for regiments when they are discussing actions or doing RP.

- Disrupts Cadet training when on ship and off ship. Cadets get fairly annoyed and confused because some random high rank is talking to them from nowhere. This typically happens when we're doing briefing/ debrief but now the stage is shorter and people should be able to hear you without the Voice AMP.

- Not all the time but certainly there have been times where an EM hasn't had to say anything at all but strikes a long conversation with a trooper who's using comms. Sure it makes the trooper feel special because the voice is talking directly to him while speaking to everyone as well but its simply not needed and rather the casual chat could be through comms or if it's not required to be seen by others a simple pm, but mostly just using /comms.

- EM's have not become lazy but certainly don't want to use /comms because it's harder to run an event that way. This creates several occasions were I have no idea what an EM even said in Voice AMP and no way to look back on what he said. Voice AMP has become so useful we don't use text-based chat to communicate to players the event.

I have more issues but I can't really think of them off the top of my head because I have some memory issues so I'll be editing this more as I remember more issues.

Lastly, I'd like to say the benefit of Voice AMP with an example from ages ago. I was playing an event almost 2 years ago and was 2IC of Horn at the time, the EM was Aussie, the EM was ordering everyone to stop pushing forward and to halt as he didn't want them to push forward too often and make the event quick as shit (Fairly normal issue). Aussie struggled to make anyone stop moving and half the server got into a OOC bitch fight over how the other half of the server were idiots for not listening to orders. Voice AMP has certainly helped with this problem if we had voice AMP at that point Aussie would've had better control and people would've listened to every word because he's in their ears thus no bitching in OOC would've happened. Certainly not Aussies fault at all he just had limited tools for control over users.

TL;DR I'd simply like to see the Voice AMP used less for long conversations and more for relaying quick messages such as "Push Forward Troopers" or "Halt Troopers"

Does anyone have any thoughts on this they'd like to bring up? and feel free to disagree with my issues if there is a flaw.

don’t use it in an event unless you’re talking to like 2 regiments+ e.g “212th and 501st, go west and destroy spooks”

- Voice chatting between squads is almost impossible when an EM is using the Voice AMP as you cant hear your squad mates at all. Some may take this as more of a pet peeve but I believe someone butting in can ruin the moment for regiments when they are discussing actions or doing RP.

Legit the worst thing ever, like trying to communicate in teamspeak when like draa is yelling through the voice amp like "SHOOT THE PLANES" or some thing like that, like i know it would be harder if he typed in like comms, but right now it is just like ear rape

If it was up to me I wouldn't use voice amp at all, give the troopers their briefing and trust them to complete the mission and all of its objectives. but because of multiple factors I have to constantly talk in everyone's ear otherwise the event will be consider "badly structured"

I understand the whole "talking to specific players" and How we should just use comms for that, but quite frankly I find that next to impossible to do, if all the troopers are pushing hard, you have some big nuts regiment thats trying to flank without alerting the EM and a legion of Jedi just getting right up on the droids, I'm not gonna type out stuff to people who are like "Advisor what do we do with these MTTs?" as in that time of me typing all the regiments have lost droids to shoot and they've pushed past all the stuff I was preparing.

I understand that No one truly likes voice amp, We EMs play events too so we know what its like, but unless the people can properly listen to briefings so every part of an event doesn't have to be explained over and over again, and troopers who ask questions like "I found a datapad do you want me to hack it" can think for themselves and just do it. Then Voice AMP will still be required.

I'm honestly gonna look at the code for this damn addon and see if the volume can be decreased, so even if it is used its so loud.

As for using them in briefings, god knows why EMs still do, whats the point in coming to briefing if they're just gonna use voice amp, its weird.

TL;DR: People dont listen to briefings properly and EMs aren't insanely fast typers so thats why we need voice amp

I personally feel it's a case-by-case scenario when it comes to voice amp. I won't go off on a massive rant detailing my opinions and why I think such, but personally I find it difficult to judge the Voice AMP simply because it can be abused in some ways, where later if it's used in the very same way in a different instance, it could be considered the correct way to use it. It has its flaws, as does every system. It's difficult not to cherrypick it, as it has a large amount of pros and cons attached to it, and unfortunately the usage of it falls down to common sense rather than any strict ruleset. I do agree with some of what you've posted though, @Shenpai. Will likely bring it up in the next EM meeting.

I understand the use of it during events, but I don't like it being used during briefings and debriefs as its volume hurts my ears

i have been gone for a bit but can people at the back hear the em without voice amp now?

i have been gone for a bit but can people at the back hear the em without voice amp now?

Yes the briefing was redesigned with this in mind

I will try to outline my opinion throughout this. Don't mind if you disagree, just provide the reason.

During events, due to the limitation of comms rp, the chat has somewhat slowed down but I'd imagine having the EM type the entire message out, or copy a script (which I assume rarely happens) would just be a hassle. Considering half the server doesn't pay attention nor enjoy roleplay in the chat as detailed in previous threads, it provides a more fluent and hastily accessible medium for communication when others prove redundant. This does come with a flip side as explained when the medium, especially during events, gets abused and provides nothing more than annoying chatter that could be typed out in 20 seconds to the particular person. Although giving more reason to the players who constantly spam chat with eg. "/comms MTT spotted" continued by the barrage of "/comms MTT spotted" comes flowing in which can be responded through chat OR provide guidance/ ADVISE to where the troopers should head instead of pinpointing 1 player to put on a pedestal.

Before events, on the other hand, is completely different and can be separated and defined into 2 situations where the 1st, I would straight up ignore the use of, and the 2nd, restrict it to certain circumstances.

First, the hotly debated topic of annoyance in the briefing/debriefing. I personally believe this used to provide a use considering the designers of the old stage for the current map did not take into account the proximity, but due to redesign it is just not needed. Coming to a conclusion for this one is clear for me now but can still be flipped to be essential for other players, but I'll explain further. When a briefing is announced, there are 3 main groups of people (I have been as all 3 at one time so it comes from experience): 1, the player who is AFK; 2, the player who goes to the briefing/ debriefing and participates, listens and takes part in the boarding of the LAATs when heading out; and 3, the player who sees no point in the briefing either due to event being, pardon my french, shit, so they can't be bothered going there to hear more, OR, when they just don't like briefings as they are so similar every day, placements don't matter, or for whatever reason they see no point in attendance (possibly training cadets). Now considering these three segments we can see why players may get annoyed at the voice amp as it doesn't provide anything to those who arrive, nor those who don't and as previously stated, can cause cadets to get confused.

1st circumstance TL;DR: Don't have it during briefings/ debriefings as it provides nothing to the table.

Onto the second circumstance. Having the voice amp as a 'PA' system is quite useful and enhances my experience as a player, but most recently, as a member of CG. Instead of announcing important situations through '/comms' and nobody reading/ caring is a serious flaw when some members of the community think this is just an easy breezy shoot'em'up gamemode. Having the EM announce over 'PA' an issue regarding eg. the engine room exploding, can be very exciting as the voice throughout the ship would be announced similar to those who have ever been to a train station and got the spooky warning of seeing harmful objects around to report. People will associate the urgency based on voice not imagery. This can still be paired with '/comms' messages and should only be in addition to the chat message if completely required. Obviously this would need to be restricted for specific roles/circumstances. Here's a list of those I believe should have access (still a privilege, not a right).

• Republic role-based EM characters. (No CIS PA through the Venator, that just pisses me off)
  • High Officer Navy (Captain+)
  • RAB (edited: not RSB, mb)
  • CG CO (Only for use in security-based situations)

2nd cicumstance TL;DR: Don't abuse PA for any role. Limit to those who in RP would have access.

Again, just my POV regarding the topic. Over the years I've seen some horrible RP from those who use voice amp, but then again situation where if used could have provided more to the situation.

I will try to outline my opinion throughout this. Don't mind if you disagree, just provide the reason.

During events, due to the limitation of comms rp, the chat has somewhat slowed down but I'd imagine having the EM type the entire message out, or copy a script (which I assume rarely happens) would just be a hassle. Considering half the server doesn't pay attention nor enjoy roleplay in the chat as detailed in previous threads, it provides a more fluent and hastily accessible medium for communication when others prove redundant. This does come with a flip side as explained when the medium, especially during events, gets abused and provides nothing more than annoying chatter that could be typed out in 20 seconds to the particular person. Although giving more reason to the players who constantly spam chat with eg. "/comms MTT spotted" continued by the barrage of "/comms MTT spotted" comes flowing in which can be responded through chat OR provide guidance/ ADVISE to where the troopers should head instead of pinpointing 1 player to put on a pedestal.

Before events, on the other hand, is completely different and can be separated and defined into 2 situations where the 1st, I would straight up ignore the use of, and the 2nd, restrict it to certain circumstances.

First, the hotly debated topic of annoyance in the briefing/debriefing. I personally believe this used to provide a use considering the designers of the old stage for the current map did not take into account the proximity, but due to redesign it is just not needed. Coming to a conclusion for this one is clear for me now but can still be flipped to be essential for other players, but I'll explain further. When a briefing is announced, there are 3 main groups of people (I have been as all 3 at one time so it comes from experience): 1, the player who is AFK; 2, the player who goes to the briefing/ debriefing and participates, listens and takes part in the boarding of the LAATs when heading out; and 3, the player who sees no point in the briefing either due to event being, pardon my french, shit, so they can't be bothered going there to hear more, OR, when they just don't like briefings as they are so similar every day, placements don't matter, or for whatever reason they see no point in attendance (possibly training cadets). Now considering these three segments we can see why players may get annoyed at the voice amp as it doesn't provide anything to those who arrive, nor those who don't and as previously stated, can cause cadets to get confused.

1st circumstance TL;DR: Don't have it during briefings/ debriefings as it provides nothing to the table.

Onto the second circumstance. Having the voice amp as a 'PA' system is quite useful and enhances my experience as a player, but most recently, as a member of CG. Instead of announcing important situations through '/comms' and nobody reading/ caring is a serious flaw when some members of the community think this is just an easy breezy shoot'em'up gamemode. Having the EM announce over 'PA' an issue regarding eg. the engine room exploding, can be very exciting as the voice throughout the ship would be announced similar to those who have ever been to a train station and got the spooky warning of seeing harmful objects around to report. People will associate the urgency based on voice not imagery. This can still be paired with '/comms' messages and should only be in addition to the chat message if completely required. Obviously this would need to be restricted for specific roles/circumstances. Here's a list of those I believe should have access (still a privilege, not a right).

• Republic role-based EM characters. (No CIS PA through the Venator, that just pisses me off)
  • High Officer Navy (Captain+)
  • RSB
  • CG CO (Only for use in security-based situations)

2nd cicumstance TL;DR: Don't abuse PA for any role. Limit to those who in RP would have access.

Again, just my POV regarding the topic. Over the years I've seen some horrible RP from those who use voice amp, but then again situation where if used could have provided more to the situation.

I agree with this PA system idea. even though people will usually say "ARGH THE VOLOME STOP TALKING IN MY EAR" nothing catches your attention like actually being talked to by a voice instead of some text on the screen, I rarely read any text on screen as playing gmod for so long you tend to tone it out very easily. To me nothing is quite as immersive as actually being told your orders via voice rather then /comms, and if you've played battlefront 2, Republic Commando or literally any Military game you'll know the Advising Character or Commander will be the voice in your ear telling you crap as you progress or if something requires your attention.

It doesn't work my dude. Broke after the game mode change.

Wouldn't be the first thing to break because of the gamemode, i checked the addon and the volume isn't able to be changed, so we're stuck with what we have

Should add my 2 cents.

I've recently avoided using !orders or Voice Amp in my events and I can't say I've run into too many difficulties. Although voice amp may be "easier" to use I found using Voice amp and comms both have the same issue that the EM has to stop spawns and what not to send out orders. I do agree that it would be easier for players if they are confused to scroll up and find the last order by myself.

Ever since I did that event with you on Sunday, I've enjoyed using /comms a lot more as I'd prefer not to use my voice in events aside from briefings and debriefs.