AvaryAce

Current state of RP on the server. A EMs POV ~ Avary's POV

***Edit*** Ill start off with something that shouldn't be here form the get go, This is a emotional post as this is a passion. Feel free to correct polity but do be warned that I am passionate about the topic

This is something I've been wanting to talk about for a while and I think it has reached the point where if it is not addressed It will be gone for good.

Comms RP. The thing that was removed due to a very select few people abusing it. The thing some regiments based their training around. The thing quite a lot of people enjoyed doing in events. And most importantly one of the MOST IMPORTANT TOOLS the Event team had in their arsenal to use in events.

Players used it to communicate with the EM team, and to be creative with their role play, now we have reached the point where we walk up to a door and see if we 50/50 the system and open the door. Don't get me wrong I was one of the biggest advocate for /roll and still am but, Well let's get down to it

Let's start off with /roll The most recent system put in place for EMs, and mostly unused by them. I personally would love to use this more, in combination with something LIKE comms RP or just comms RP, but there are two problems currently here.

1: the system of rolling the 50/50 every clone regiment should have modifiers for certain things and not others, some things should be easier while others harder.

Every situation has environmental factors in real life. So why not in game.

2: even if this point was fixed the EMs cant even see the /roll in the first place so how can they act as a EM and do what happens when they pass or fail, the play should not be the one telling the EM if they passed it should be the EM reacting to it if they did.

But the event master team cannot see /rolls so even if the system was fixed for more in depth game mechanics It wouldn't matter anyway

3: this will tie in with Comm RP or a replacement, as stated above every situation should have modifiers. But you should need to roleplay the roll, eg “Making sure to check for security systems” would make it so if there was that environmental modifier they wouldn't trigger it. But! It would take more time to do. But again a similar problem pops up. That EMs cannot see /me

PS. I would love to do something where your trained in the thing, you fail the roll, you still succeed but something unexpected happens, eg breaching a door, triggered a automated turret system. Hacking a console, droids have been activated nearby ect

Onto the Comms [RP] and in a way [speech]

Players side first, a player roleplaying, not only the points seen in the /roll part of the post but also just general roleplaying, assisting people doing /roll, and brining a better standard to the server. Say something that would almost always succeed you could simply do comms [RP] and the EM could tell you to /roll if its required, this as well as helping people in task seen in the /roll could speed up the time the RP would need to go on for. Also speaking from experience, a group of 2-3 people roleplaying in comms actually inspired people to roleplay on the server and get involved with the event storylines if there was any going on at the time lore and custom alike.

EM side. I'll go right out the gates here and say, It's impossible to read /me while spawning droids. Its as simple as that, people who do RP have their RP ignored because the EM NEVER sees it

Its great for ECs so people know why for example the shield went down and are not confused why the blue glowy thing is gone and why is there now droids being spawned on top of me. Explaining parts of the events, or taking hostages. When it comes to speech.

Problems removing global RP and global /rol

1. Removal of EM control over events

2. Removal of player interaction

3. Removal of reasons to RP

4. Removal of player and EM motivation to do/participate in RP centeric events

5. Lack of ways for the EM to improvise without confusing the players

Solutions?

1. A chat command allowing EMs to hear all text chat globally

2. Edits to the chat commands already allowing EMs to hear /me and /roll globally

3. Overhaul to the /roll system and encouraging people to roleplay alongside it

4. Add back global /roll and comms [RP]

P.S. I was planning on making a huge part of the post about how EMs had no say in the adding and removing of systems that affect EVENTS and how the admins were the ones that dictated it mostly because they simply did not like it, and the fact it didn’t affect them. So I put this at the bottom as to not have the post consumed by it.

• Removal of EM control over events

• Removal of player interaction

• Removal of reasons to RP

• Removal of player and EM motivation to do/participate in RP centeric events

• Lack of ways for the EM to improvise without confusing the players

Can you explain why not having global RP and global roll would do this? as the way it is now is fine.

and global roll would be annoying for all players and staff, even if you place a rule around it. it would still be annoying, I do agree that IMPORTANT global RP should come back (important as in event objectives etc.) but not *RP* sniffs in advert.

Overall the issue is not as big as you have made it out to be.

Although it can be difficult as EM to keep track of RP, players should be smart enough to actually draw attention to what their doing, I think our playerbase is aware that the EM isn't gonna pick up a /roll when he's 50 miles away spawning droids so this can be easily fixed with a PM from the roleplayer in question.

another point to address is even though its call Star wars ROLEPLAY, not everyone wants to be keyboard warriors who roll for every choice they make, I dont think I've spoken in comms more then 20 times since coming back and maybe /roll'd 3 times. I've never had an issue with RP Comms or *Speech* or whatever in events because I dont make that the defining feature of the event, Ever play a FPS where you had to type something in to progress the level? No because the game is developed to progress with simple player interactions, not some dude rolling a virtual dice.

TL;DR: you're an EM, work around it, its possible and quite frankly pretty easy

"P.S. I was planning on making a huge part of the post about how EMs had no say in the adding and removing of systems that affect EVENTS and how the admins were the ones that dictated it mostly because they simply did not like it, and the fact it didn’t affect them. So I put this at the bottom as to not have the post consumed by it."

This is not true at all. It was a legit exec choice and with the change of the game mode was almost impossible to continue on in the server. Staff had no official say in the matter at all so this is a piss poor comment.

I have not read the whole post because It is just the same thing reiterated for the 4th time. Legit RP is not needed in comms for an event to be good or made viable. Aussies point on this matter is a direct response and makes a lot of sense. Either way, I do not give 2 because it does not affect me or my RP experience. The only thing that it effects is my mental health, Reading some sick bruv cleaning his DC-17m with a slight tweak above that than the bruv before him makes my brain want to curl up in a ball and die. Also, your solutions to the situation are egg. The only viable solution would be looking for an addon that allows creatable custom chat cmds. Like Advert for Darkrp etc. Or ask for a known coder to make something along the lines where it would need to be paid for and unless yourself or anyone else is officially going to pay for it then I can not see it being on a priority list.

Me personally, I see no need for it or any reason worthy that could make it return. When I was an EM I completely voided any comms roleplay because I thought it was toxic than and didn't prove shit, or Help! And to be frank your events have been better without it. Seen you in an event actually make the effort to see if the person did do something or not and halted progression unless it was completed. I remember clearly prior when it was in the server any RP I committed to in Comms would be completely ignored by you in every situation and pretty much that of everyone else on the server unless RC, ARC, or Navy.

Bottomline Comms RP is cringe and not needed but at the same time will not affect anyone if it is bought back. Just make all the normal people cringe at Gareth Cleaning his DC-15a in his bunks making it super shiny for his robust Commander to see. Ugh god, I hope he notices my shiny weapon that I rp'd to make shiny. Lolol

instead of /comms *RP* hacking the door

/comms "Sir, I'm beginning to try to hack open the door"

Also the thing where you said people being trained in something who then fail rolls but still succeed is very dumb. How would you know if someone's been trained in it? Are you going on an individual basis or a role basis? If a role basis, its easier to track but you would still need a document open 99% of the time to check what their proficiencies are.

If you cant improvise, control an event or rp without being able to outright type it for the server to see, you really aren't as good of an EM or roleplayer as you put yourself forward to be.

This Idea that Ems can function of Pms and passiverp with rolls and such is stupid.

For an example of how bad the /roll system is... During 1 event about 1 month ago we were tasking with cracking open a simple door to progress the event. IT TOOK 9 PEOPLE TO FUCKING ROLL A NUMBER HIGH ENOUGH TO OPEN A DOOR! which is outright stupid. The Zulu boys couldn't even crack open a console at the end of the event because nobody rolled high enough even though they are specialized in that field.

The server has had a massive downgrade in its RP that occurs during events since the removal of /comms and /advert *RP*. I 100% agree with avary in what he is stating and I voiced my concerns when it was first announced.

IT TOOK 9 PEOPLE TO FUCKING ROLL A NUMBER HIGH ENOUGH TO OPEN A DOOR!

You see thats where my whole "you did it but something unexpected happens" would come in, THAT ROOM I know the one, has gunships in it, 1st one fails, and then the gunships activate and the doors open, not by the player but by the gunships to gun the players down

You see thats where my whole "you did it but something unexpected happens" would come in, THAT ROOM I know the one, has gunships in it, 1st one fails, and then the gunships activate and the doors open, not by the player but by the gunships to gun the players down

This is a good point Avary, Im sure There's nothing stopping you from doing this. I for one think if an EM has to rely on chance of getting a high number to progress their event they should reevaluate what makes an event actually fun to play.

Why the fuck would I want to play dungeons and dragons when I want to be a clone trooper shooting a dc-15s and doing mad climbing. The roll system is a system that downgrades everything in my opinion. I do not care for getting lucky enough to breach a door. It's nothing to do with skill or knowledge of the topic it's just ooops sorry mate but it looks like you got an unlucky roll.

I'll give you an example I was trying to break my buddy bill out of jail and I did some Rp to get into r-sec. I went to knock out two cg guards but they paused the Rp and forced me to roll in order to save bill. I got an unlucky roll and as such I was forced to go to jail even though they shouldn't of been able to put up resistance in the first place. If your Rp has to be halted so you can do some bullshit roll to see if you can do something is retarded.

When Avary says what if you roll this this happens. Why don't you just make that a part of your event. The roll system is completely unnecessary and just makes things unnecessarily tedious and annoying.

The roll systems stops stupid rp like boards muni and blows it up or sneaks into cg and shoots them with stun rounds, there is a good + to it

The roll systems stops stupid rp like boards muni and blows it up or sneaks into cg and shoots them with stun rounds, there is a good + to it

This still happens...It's just that now people arent really able to continue with the RP all because of a luck based roll

Whilst I didn’t mind comms RP, I understand why most players found it annoying. To be frank, I personally don’t find /roll to be good either as I once used it experimentally which just made players stand around the terminal and spam /roll.

To me, text RP is an optional thing that players can decide to partake in to change the flow of events. A few players have PM’d me their /me’s and /rolls on certain topics which I follow through. Planned events are always the best but improvisation is always required due to player choice.

In short, majority of players are here to shoot stuff because it is a FPS and not all want to partake in text RP or see it clutter their screen.

It didn't stop a bunch of troopers blowing up a muni when it was getting pelted by bombers thats for sure

This still happens...It's just that now people arent really able to continue with the RP all because of a luck based roll

It didn't stop a bunch of troopers blowing up a muni when it was getting pelted by bombers thats for sure

again it wont stop it completely, but at least it is able to possibly stop stupid stuff like that

When Avary says what if you roll this this happens. Why don't you just make that a part of your event. The roll system is completely unnecessary and just makes things unnecessarily tedious and annoying.

The point of the roll system atleast to my understanding is so bad thing scan happen organically without it being guaranteed succeeded (when the players are doing it) Or guaranteed to fail (When the EM is doing it) It adds in the chance factor that reality has, the environmental factors that neither the EM or the player would normally take into account, I was simply giving a solution to a problem that is been around since day one of starwars RP itself

I feel like most of the discussions on here are getting fairly off topic, mainly because this is a fairly broad subject, so I thought I'd put my thoughts on /roll and /comms *RP*.

So I think the server has so far done really well with no more /comms *RP* and I think anyone not enjoying it are so crybaby about it they haven't even tried to look at the good side. Call it an insult but anyone thats complained about it have only complained about it because the entire server cant see their shit rp, example epic jedi had a /comms *RP* battle with some character you've been building for 7 events but why the fuck should I care because I've only seen 2 of the 7 events.

/comms *RP* is not needed and there's ways to still say what you're doing to the entire server anyway.

Other than /comms *rp* I agree that ems got the shit end of the stick as they need more chat commands and they should have a better way to see rolls and I thank you Avary for being vocal about it and discussing with people the issue but I also suggest before you argue about the next change that happens that you first look at its benefits with the whole community rather than the people that hate the change the most.

I agree with most of the points brought up by Avary, but I also understand why people don't want it back. "[RP] takes a step forward" should not be a thing that happens, and comms RP should have only been used for event affecting roleplay. My issue is that the decision that was made was the most extreme one possible, one that really should have been a last resort. Comms RP wasn't even that bad at it's worst, and sure, you could argue that it was getting worse, but we could have corrected it, as opposed to nuking it from orbit.

If we had just implemented some rules about comms RP, something along the lines of "only use Comms RP for major actions that directly affect events or characters" then all of this mess could have been averted.

And to the people rebutting this with stuff like "I don't want to do RP just to advance in events" then don't, you're not specifically being forced to, let others do it. or, even better, don't play on a star wars RP server, go play Fortnite or TF2 or some other FPS game. an RP server should focus on RP, and even though it's fine to enjoy shooting droids, You can't complain about RP on an RP server.